Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Roger Ebert is a hack

I was reading a review of A Clockwork Orange and it made me think of how awful he is. He gave it 2 stars because he didn't think the main character was such a nice guy. Any film with a controversial or ambiguous moral stance (or simply one he doens't agree with) gets panned right off the bat. He complains about graphic content even when it serves a clear purpose. Reading a Roger Ebert review is like getting a movie rec from your grandmother.

The guy seems to have no sense of humor whatsover. He'll give a blatantly raunchy comedy 1 star because he didn't see the need for fart jokes but some safe romantic comedy is suddenly hilarious. This guy is so out of touch, I don't know if it's agreed upon that he is terrible but it still bothers me that he is listed first in IMDB reviews.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Roger Ebert is a hack

Why people place any credence in what a critic says is beyond me. You either like, don't like or are indifferent to a movie, piece of music, work of art or food based upon your own tastes. Hell, critics don't even pay, unlike the rest of us, for what they critique.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 AM

Perhaps your right as a rule, but he gave a 4 star to apocalypse now, that was violent.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:08 AM

I don't always agree with him, but he DOES seem to know a lot about the craft, and his reviews are some of my favorites to read.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:36 AM

TME,

He does exactly what you said. He also gives way too favorable reviews to big budget hollywood films. However, he tends to write very good reviews for small budget movies. Read his review on Lost in Translation or The Virgin Suicides. Something else that I thought was comical is that he gave a very bad review to Reservoir Dogs, but then he goes onto give every Tarantino flick post PF a perfect review. How does Kill Bill get a perfect score, while Reservoir Dogs gets a bad review? He also seems to give some directors way to much credit, such as Oliver Stone, probably because he is ultra-liberal. Stones films, which I personally think suck (besides Platoon) are all over Ebert's best of the year.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:49 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've been extremely disappointed by a film that got an ecstatic review from Roger E.

edit: I admit that this may be because he has to watch literally every Hollywood movie that comes out and half the films I watch are from the Criterion Collection.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading a review of A Clockwork Orange and it made me think of how awful he is. He gave it 2 stars because he didn't think the main character was such a nice guy. Any film with a controversial or ambiguous moral stance (or simply one he doens't agree with) gets panned right off the bat. He complains about graphic content even when it serves a clear purpose. Reading a Roger Ebert review is like getting a movie rec from your grandmother.

The guy seems to have no sense of humor whatsover. He'll give a blatantly raunchy comedy 1 star because he didn't see the need for fart jokes but some safe romantic comedy is suddenly hilarious. This guy is so out of touch, I don't know if it's agreed upon that he is terrible but it still bothers me that he is listed first in IMDB reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link please, I watched a review that his old partner did with him a few years ago on TV talking about the classics and they were raving about A Clockwork Orange. I checked IMDB, I don't see a review.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Link please, I watched a review that his old partner did with him a few years ago on TV talking about the classics and they were raving about A Clockwork Orange. I checked IMDB, I don't see a review.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
DRAMABOMB
TME = Joel Siegel?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:47 PM

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...202110301/1023
Old 11-18-2006, 01:10 PM

TME: Your thesis is based on a review that he wrote 34 years ago?

You could have used his recent review of Garfield which he wrote in character as Garfield as evidence that he has completely lost his mind. He does, in fact, consistently give nearly mindless Hollywood drivel good reviews. But I think you could have extracted a somewhat more recent example to nail him with.