Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Inside Ansky\'s Head: Hand 1 - Flopping a Monster

Pre-flop I think the CO's range is quite wide. He is the big stack at the table (has M of 73) and can afford a little risk. As such, I think his pre-flop range should also include any pair and mid-range suited connectors. Post flop, CO's check, given Ansky's pre-flop raise, could indicate a middle pair, a King, or a complete whiff. CO's weak bet on the turn could be a blocking bet hoping to get a free river card for 109h/98h/87h etc... Co's river check makes that play more likely. I agree with everyone who says the flop check by Ansky was the right play. Unless CO had 22, we would be folding out virtually all players with weaker hands.

If Ansky had more of a stack behind him on the turn, would anyone have considered a mini-raise there?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for asking, but does Hero have a plan for the times when he misses the flop, or are we very sure that CO won't call? (Which might be very reasonable with regard to previous action..)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Glad this came up.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for asking, but does Hero have a plan for the times when he misses the flop, or are we very sure that CO won't call? (Which might be very reasonable with regard to previous action..)

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume this is a go and go with position. He will call a push and push himself if villain doesn't. Obviously, he checked behind because he hit the flop so hard.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop I think the CO's range is quite wide. He is the big stack at the table (has M of 73) and can afford a little risk. As such, I think his pre-flop range should also include any pair and mid-range suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can afford a little risk, but he can't afford to call with suited connectors OOP, when it is clear (to me at least) that the chances of Ansky folding are very unlikely. In fact there are no hands that I can see, that he should just call with, but he did call and in my book made a mistake.

I push the turn. There is too much in the pot to keep slow playing, and villain may call. Also, I don't want villain to draw to a set or flush for free.

If hero missed the flop betgo, what hands are you putting CO on that you would be willing to call an all-in to?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Hencole - I meant CO's original call of the 1200 not Ansky's raise to 8000 for his range. As to what hands he would call Ansky's raise with, I think a mid-ranged pair is the most likely.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push the turn. There is too much in the pot to keep slow playing, and villain may call. Also, I don't want villain to draw to a set or flush for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop seems standard, but I agree with this turn play. Besides pushing the turn may seem like a heart draw w/o a made hand, and may get a call from AQ, QQ, etc.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If hero missed the flop betgo, what hands are you putting CO on that you would be willing to call an all-in to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain could push a lot of the hands he calls with. Villain probably has a pp or two high cards, likely suited. I call because AK is ahead of pot odds versus villain's range. Even if villain has a pair, AK is 20-30%.

Ansky should make this size raise if he is not willing to call a push. Otherwise, push preflop or make a smaller raise representing a big pair.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back at the hand, I agree with this turn line more and more. With that flop, Villain is either going to get the rest of his money in or fold UI. There isn't likely a scenario where he gets his money in on the river UI where he wouldn't also get it in on the turn. As such, I think a turn push is in order.