Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: AJo

i don't agree with the other persons here saying to raise pre-flop; unless you know that the person ahead of you is limping with any two cards and the rest of the table is playing tight, i would not do anything but call with AJo as it is a "trap hand", one often dominated...i might 3bet preflop with AJo if the player ahead open raised and i knew he was raising light, but that is not quite the situation here...

after the flop, i think we don't have as many outs as it appears---1 ace, (the Ah as the Ad also might make a flush) and 3 kings (again Kd also makes a flush) but a king may also give someone else the straight, so the payoff is only half the pot--so count only 1.5 outs for the kings...and J i count only 1 out, as Jd flush, and other 2 jacks may give bare king holder a straight---so we have only 3.5 outs total maybe? with implied odds we might justify a call on the turn, but fold unimproved on the river
Old 11-20-2006, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't agree with the other persons here saying to raise pre-flop; unless you know that the person ahead of you is limping with any two cards and the rest of the table is playing tight, i would not do anything but call with AJo as it is a "trap hand", one often dominated...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a trap hand against good players. Given no reads there is no reason to believe this guys isn't limping Q8s here or worse like a lot of players at this level. Given that I ISO raise.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't agree with the other persons here saying to raise pre-flop; unless you know that the person ahead of you is limping with any two cards and the rest of the table is playing tight, i would not do anything but call with AJo as it is a "trap hand", one often dominated...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a trap hand against good players. Given no reads there is no reason to believe this guys isn't limping Q8s here or worse like a lot of players at this level. Given that I ISO raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
And combine this with the fact that we're in position. Based on the limp, there is a good chance AJ is ahead, but if it isn't and we're against AQ or a small/medium pair like 66 or 77 or something, we might be able to push them off their hand later on such as betting a KTx flop. Both those situations can make raising here profitable.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hand plays differently after a preflop raise and putting the results in the post have ruined all responses you're going to get.

But if you use 20/20 hindsight;
against a sane opponent, the 9 didn't help any hand that calls two cold on the flop other than slowplayed ones.

I would have called the turn and folded the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not totally sold on the fold against an unknown. 15.7:1 is a pretty good price on the call closing the action. With a read, I could fold against some players.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:27 PM

If he raises PF and villain 3 bets, then he has a lot more information than just limping. Plus, early postion you need to narrow the field and a PF raise helps with that even if it is just one player that folds.

Villain played this hand nicely, IMHO.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The hand plays differently after a preflop raise and putting the results in the post have ruined all responses you're going to get.

But if you use 20/20 hindsight;
against a sane opponent, the 9 didn't help any hand that calls two cold on the flop other than slowplayed ones.

I would have called the turn and folded the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not totally sold on the fold against an unknown. 15.7:1 is a pretty good price on the call closing the action. With a read, I could fold against some players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would need a read to call.