Booker's (125 proof)
Baker's
Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Bulliet
Maker's Mark

Never had the Buffalo One. Will definitely buy a bottle and give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. My friend went to Kentucky over the weekend and brought me a bottle of Blanton's. It's fantastic. I'm pretty sure it's the best bourbon I've had, but I may have to go back and exhuastively sample them all. He swears that Pappy van Winkle is better. We'll see .. he's bringing a bottle of that back next time.

P.S. Blanton's is $43/bottle in Kentucky.

FWIW, I highly recommend instituting Bourbon Night at your home game .. everybody brings a bottle of bourbon, everybody has a blast.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Buying some bourbon today

I'm going to hijack my on thread because i wanted to make a whiskey post today anyway and somehow this got bumped.

Anyway, I had irish whiskey for the first time yesterday in light of st pattys and I have to say, I don't really understand the concept. Why by irish whiskey when you can buy scotch, becauese I think they basically are the same.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm not sure if your post is saying good things about the Irish whisky you drank, or really bad things about the Scotch you drink. They're very different in character. Irish tends to be considerably lighter and "sweeter" in flavor. Some Scotches have the sweetness, but they're also more full-bodied. Irish whiskies virtually never have the smokey character that some Scotches have.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:45 PM

II'm a big scotch fan, and what i was drinking was jameson. It tasted fine, but I just don't pick up much of a difference between scotch and whiskey... Maybe I haven't had enough of either.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Speaking as a certified bourbon expert I say you should invest in a bottle of Basil Hayden's. Smoothest bottle of bourbon you can buy for less than $100. If you can't find it locally get it shipped to you. Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Buffallo Trace, and Jefferson's Reserve finish out my top 5 in that order.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:33 PM

knob creek = relabeled jim bean. shhhh
Old 03-17-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking as a certified bourbon expert I say you should invest in a bottle of Basil Hayden's. Smoothest bottle of bourbon you can buy for less than $100. If you can't find it locally get it shipped to you. Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Buffallo Trace, and Jefferson's Reserve finish out my top 5 in that order.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I really like Basil Hayden's, but I Woodford Reserve is nowhere near the top of my list. What do you think about Blanton's?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Woodford Reserve

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this list.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Woodford is the best to put on ice and sip all night. I hate taking shots of it becaus it hits me like Bookers (128? Proof). Blanton's I enjoy but don't get often because it is not sold anywhere close by me. If you like Maker's (which personally I don't buy) then you might like Baker's. Baker's Booker's and Beam are all made by the same family and have a similar taste. Baker's is alittle more refined and warm. Booker's is very refined (it tastes wonderful) but is so powerful you'll end up getting in a fight. If you are at a bar with it, get a manhattan though. One is all you need.
A friend of mine puts Elijah Craig on his list, but he has yet to taste the Jefferson Reserve.
Other small batches that are decent:
Pappy Van Winkle-15 year aged Rip Van Winkle. If you keep it chilled it is alright but alittle harsh for my tastes. Anything younger than 15 years is near undrinkable
1792-I don't mind this bourbon but its another warm bourbon. Other than Woodford I am not a big fan of the real warm feeling bourbons.
Old Pogue-Meh. Just kinda Average.
Beam Black Label-I actually don't mind this bourbon. Its good enough for a night of 'see who can drink the most bourbon the quickest without puking'.

Try mixing bourbon and sweet tea one day. Its a great drink.