Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Raise or go for Overcall?

I'd go for overcall, no guarantees on either BB or MP paying off another bet, but you don't lose another bet with the BB 3-betting
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I go for the overcall here - there are so many BB 2 pair hands that he'll 3-bet against you, and MP doesn't look like they're going anywhere

to be honest I don't think this is really close - the MOST you're getting out of BB is 1 more bet by raising, which you'll almost certainly get from MP anyways just calling, with much less risk

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think BB has 2 pair on such a goofy flop? And why do you think MP is going to overcall? This is the sort of flop where you often get loose peels to the river chasing overcards, especially since he coldcalled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know for sure BB has 2 pair - he could have 1 pair, which we get 1BB from him (maybe) if we raise the river, and almost certainly 0 from MP

I just feel that we gain the same by overcalling, while losing less while we're behind
Old 02-04-2006, 04:13 AM

I'm in the go for overcall camp. I don't see MP calling 2 cold on the river with a worse hand. If he has a small pp or weak 8 or something he likely makes the overcall having come this far but unlikely he puts in 2 bets.

If I raise the BB will probably make a crying call with a worse hand. If he really has a hand he may raise.

Likely calling wins the same as raising with less risk.

I asked though because it seemed off somehow to call along with a weak draw, have it come in, and then not bet it.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:26 AM

I raise. Unless he's extremely loose calling raises in the BB, I can't think he's got 2 pair on that board.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I go for the overcall here - there are so many BB 2 pair hands that he'll 3-bet against you, and MP doesn't look like they're going anywhere

to be honest I don't think this is really close - the MOST you're getting out of BB is 1 more bet by raising, which you'll almost certainly get from MP anyways just calling, with much less risk

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think BB has 2 pair on such a goofy flop? And why do you think MP is going to overcall? This is the sort of flop where you often get loose peels to the river chasing overcards, especially since he coldcalled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know for sure BB has 2 pair - he could have 1 pair, which we get 1BB from him (maybe) if we raise the river, and almost certainly 0 from MP

I just feel that we gain the same by overcalling, while losing less while we're behind

[/ QUOTE ]

My argument is that you're not getting much from MP anyway. It's far more likely for him to be chasing overcards on this flop than for him to have a pair in the hole or some other hand that connected with the board.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 PM

The fact that the turn gave any ace a gutshot and 7 to 1 odds to chase it makes me think that MP won't be calling here as often as you think.