Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Date leaves a terrible tip.... do I add to it?

I would donkey punch that skank.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why are you monitoring the amount of tip your girlfriend leaves on the credit card? She was generous enough to pick up the bill, but you don't trust her enough to just let her pay without scrutinizing her credit card receipt? To criticize her tip here seems awfully ungrateful, like getting mad at someone because they didn't give you the right color shirt for your birthday or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you just can't help it. If you happen to glance at it and see that, what are you going to do? z28 - edfurlong is right. You start heading outside and say you have to go back in and go to the bathroom. Slip her a 10 and it's done.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much everything Private Joker said in this thread is right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorting a waiter $5 is not as bad as insulting someone who just treated you to dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM

A few updates on this to clarify:

- The girl has a masters from Yale, works at a consulting firm, and makes nearly $90k a year. If she can't calculate 15%, I'd be shocked.

- I didn't intentionally look at the tip - in fact, when she grabbed the check, I purposely looked away while she wrote it in, but she was sitting inches away from me and I happened to see it when turning back.

Some thoughts on what others have said:

- No matter how politely I say it, "I like to give big tips for service", "I've got the tip", etc - it would come off as insulting. She had ALREADY written in a tip - overriding that in anyway that she could see would be pretty bad.

The plan is to go in there again and overtip on the next meal.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So,

I've been on a few dates with this girl, and have treated her to some food, drinks, etc. Tonight she took me out and wanted to cover the tab to even things out, so I accepted.

We stopped by a tapas place, and had a few sangrias, total bill wasn't too much - around $55 or so.

She leaves a $5 tip on the credit card, and we got excellent service.

Do you -

(a) let it go - try not to insult her
(b) throw a few bucks on the table and risk calling her a cheapass

note that option
(c) slipping a few bucks to the waitress on the side,

would be quite difficult, because we were right by the front door and any action to leave an additional tip would be pretty obvious.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 tip is not that bad. A $7 is what they are suppose to get. I would not say anything.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 PM

10$ on 48$ pretax? Its fine, but not totally standard.

Where I live 15% on pretax amount is standard, and then you just round up to the next buck or even 5.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM

<font color="blue">Just forget it and don't ruin a date -- and a girl's pride -- over five friggin' bucks.</font>

yale professional undertipping already makes me think she sucks. if making right on it manages to ruin the date, she can go screw herself.

<font color="blue">Next time you go to that restaurant without her (or with her, if you're paying), just overtip by $5.</font>

servers are assigned at random, so i don't see how that rates to solve the problem.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 PM

The most important question was, had you already slept with this woman previous to this night?

If the answer is yes, and you still don't have the balls to at the very least make fun of her for leaving a small tip, then you're going to be in for some major problems down the line when she tries to make you her biatch.

If the answer is no, then you already failed, you took her out a few times and paid and didn't even get any.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important question was, had you already slept with this woman previous to this night?

If the answer is yes, and you still don't have the balls to at the very least make fun of her for leaving a small tip, then you're going to be in for some major problems down the line when she tries to make you her biatch.

If the answer is no, then you already failed, you took her out a few times and paid and didn't even get any.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, good point. I said earlier that he shouldn't do anything because it's not worth ruining the chance of banging her just to make a server's day a little bit better. Now that I realize he has already paid for a few dates and hasn't laid her it is time to move on anyway.