how do u turn starcraft skills into poker skills

lol..

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay me monies!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

...but i just went broke : [
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Ask me Tien anything thread

Can you shed some more light on reraising preflop? (i know in your fundamentals article you mentioned a range for rr in the blinds)

Like if you're MP and UTG (not maniac or nit) raises 3.5x what do you reraise with? btw would you ever call a raise here or is it always rr/f?

What about 4 betting (if i've got that right) eg you raise otb w/ JJ and SB reraises you. i know it's read dependant but can you give some general advice? does 25nl v 400nl make a big difference (ppl less likely to rr light in lower stakes i guess?)

another question if that's okay.

do you ever slow play really weak players to let them catch up at the risk of them outdrawing/flopping you?

say like you're bb w/ KK and it's folded to sb who limps and you think he's probably gonna just fold to your raise. likewise if you're CO and have AA but it seems ppl are folding the blinds to your bets frequently-- would you consider limping? or maybe postflop like you're HU having raised AA and it's Q82 rainbow -- you still bet 3/4 pot or so? (actually having just typed the question i think i know the answer) but to cut a waffle short -- when if ever do you slowplay?

cheers
Old 11-15-2006, 03:40 AM

off-topic
i think i remember seeing crackyoface post a hand on some starcraft site once.
did u have a nick on teamliquid or br.com/forum? i used to lurk there quite often (like i do here).
Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you shed some more light on reraising preflop? (i know in your fundamentals article you mentioned a range for rr in the blinds)

Like if you're MP and UTG (not maniac or nit) raises 3.5x what do you reraise with? btw would you ever call a raise here or is it always rr/f?

What about 4 betting (if i've got that right) eg you raise otb w/ JJ and SB reraises you. i know it's read dependant but can you give some general advice? does 25nl v 400nl make a big difference (ppl less likely to rr light in lower stakes i guess?)

another question if that's okay.

do you ever slow play really weak players to let them catch up at the risk of them outdrawing/flopping you?

say like you're bb w/ KK and it's folded to sb who limps and you think he's probably gonna just fold to your raise. likewise if you're CO and have AA but it seems ppl are folding the blinds to your bets frequently-- would you consider limping? or maybe postflop like you're HU having raised AA and it's Q82 rainbow -- you still bet 3/4 pot or so? (actually having just typed the question i think i know the answer) but to cut a waffle short -- when if ever do you slowplay?

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

What do I reraise UTG with? It really depends on my image, table dynamics, as well as who I am considering reraising. Sometimes I will call his raise with pocket pairs, sometimes I will reraise him with suited connectors, pocket pairs, high cards, as well as premium hands. I do call raises, but it is only a small amount of time.

4betting depends on the player. If he is known to 3bet me out of hte blinds to fight against my steal, I will 4bet him many times with less than premium hands. If he rarely ever 3bets me I may call with JJ here and dump a lot of small pocket pairs if I am not given the odds to call. Sometimes I will call loosely in this spot because I have position on him.

I never ever slowplay BB vs SB steals.

I never ever slowplay AA on the CO. I play all the hands the same. I RAISE.

I slowplay when I think there is almost no chance of his hand improving (I am 95% favourite). But I almost never slowplay the turn.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
off-topic
i think i remember seeing crackyoface post a hand on some starcraft site once.
did u have a nick on teamliquid or br.com/forum? i used to lurk there quite often (like i do here).

[/ QUOTE ]

damn lurkers!

Yeah, my nick on teamliquid is Tien

My nick on liquidpoker is Tien.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do I reraise UTG with? It really depends on my image, table dynamics, as well as who I am considering reraising. Sometimes I will call his raise with pocket and pairs, sometimes I will reraise him with suited connectors, pocket pairs, high cards, as well as premium hands. I do call raises, but it is only a small amount of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tien glad you're back! Can u give an example of when/why you would call an UTG raiser? could you flesh out a couple of "sometimes" for us?

[ QUOTE ]
4betting depends on the player. If he is known to 3bet me out of hte blinds to fight against my steal, I will 4bet him many times with less than premium hands. If he rarely ever 3bets me I may call with JJ here

[/ QUOTE ]

say you do call with JJ what's your plan of attack postflop? (would you have to fold to any bet villian makes if you miss the flop?)

and, while you're still here and i'm still up at 4am [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] , what was the worst (non tilt) downswing you had? and what were normalish downswings (-5BI common)?

you've mentioned you tilted at times -- what set you on tilt? how did you fix it? did you get to pretty much tilt free play after a while?

cheers
Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Tks for soing this tien

Assume 100bb stacks, ok player.
We in CO PFR KQo BTN calls, all others fold
flop Qxx 2 tone (we have no flush cards)
We bet 3/4pot get called.
Turn is an ace.

What's you line, factors to consider?

I'm trying to get your view on is a drawy board we have a TPGK/TPTK type of hand the turn card is scare card -maybe completes possible sstr8/ higher card than our TP.

What factors do you consider whether to bet/check in posn/OOP and vs weak/good/donk player?

Sorry if it's too general I'll try and find a hand or two in PT if you want?

2nd question

Villan is multitabling TAG 17/12/4.5 and a decent player.
WTSD 18%
reraises AQs/AKs, QQ+ ,probably more incl. JJ,AJs but not known for certain.

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $133.05
SB: $124.15

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $12</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($24.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $15</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ?</font>

What's Hero's play/plan for the hand? I find QQ in a reraised pot(not as the 3bettor) as an overpair diffcult to play -reraised pots become more common at NL100 and I guess evenmore so further up at the stakes you played. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 PM

how long are you around for? (i'm hoping to ask more questions in about 8 hrs time)

and i was wondering about you quiting -- i'm guessing you've thought about taking a break and coming back type of thing? maybe part time or something? are you really done with it?

anyway best wishes for the future

thanks for your answers and pointers
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Tien,

Lifetime graph and stats pls. So we can put it up for all to see and say "this was Tien. He play pokah".
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[1) I want to concentrate on other things such as real estate investing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great timing :P.