Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Ask me Tien anything thread

Go ahead. This is the last time I make a thread on uNL. I think there is a huge amount of tools available for you starting players out there to learn and develop yourselves so anything more I write will most likely be redundant.

Well... Go ahead and ask. Preflop, postflop, image, stats, etc etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Ask me Tien anything thread

Who are you?

What's your poker history?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM

So basically you're in the well right now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What has helped you the most in improving your game?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM

I am Tien, crackyoface on nearly all poker sites.

Started playing 1.5 years ago at the penny tables. Worked my way up to 200 and 400 NL 6 max games (alternated a lot between them).
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically you're in the well right now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What has helped you the most in improving your game?

[/ QUOTE ]

My mentality. Once I drilled it down into my head that I was going to become the aggressive I dont care type of player I needed to become, changes became much much easier.

But, I have also benefitted a lot from a circle of poker friends on msn constantly supporting me, giving me advice, and having poker discussions with.

Those 2 things helped improved my game the most.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM

Why are you stopping playing?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 PM

The thing i need to work on most before i am succesfull at higher limits is taking control from the blinds.

Folded to you in the small blind...what range of hands do you raise with against a TAG who is in the BB, how about a loose passive?

Same with being in the SB and BB and facing a raise from CO/ button...should I ever call, or is it mainly a raise or fold move. Again, if you don't mind, a range of hands for reraising.

I know this is a vague general question, but I'm pretty sure this is the biggest hole in my game, so any thing is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the balance of the fact that I'll be playing out of position and leaving myself open to floats etc. with being the aggresor...to my own detriment I think.

(If you can, gimme a "Raise that {censored} up" in the answer, it does me good)
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you stopping playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few reasons. The biggest ones being:

1) I want to concentrate on other things such as real estate investing.

2) Poker consumed too much of my energy / time / focus and I could not concentrate on the other things I want.

3) No longer felt happy playing poker.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM

What stats did you look at when facing a difficult decision vs. various opponents? What HUD stats did you put on the table?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing i need to work on most before i am succesfull at higher limits is taking control from the blinds.

Folded to you in the small blind...what range of hands do you raise with against a TAG who is in the BB, how about a loose passive?

Same with being in the SB and BB and facing a raise from CO/ button...should I ever call, or is it mainly a raise or fold move. Again, if you don't mind, a range of hands for reraising.

I know this is a vague general question, but I'm pretty sure this is the biggest hole in my game, so any thing is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the balance of the fact that I'll be playing out of position and leaving myself open to floats etc. with being the aggresor...to my own detriment I think.

(If you can, gimme a "Raise that {censored} up" in the answer, it does me good)

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind vs blind play is something many many players at the higher limits (mid stakes) dont possess.

If I am in the SB, I will raise the BB nearly every single playable hand that I would raise from the CU / Button. Good enough to call means it is good enough to raise. Range of hands is = to range of hands in CU / Button.

I will do this against everyone, I don't care how LAG or TAG.

I will only reraise hands from the blinds against CO / Button raises if I know the player raises hands liberally. It's quite foolhardy to reraise a player who only raises premium hands. Some hands though I will reraise no matter what, AK, AQ, JJ, maybe even 1010 sometimes.

I will only call a raise if I feel I can outplay him postflop oop.

The poker fire is dying out, those RAISE THAT [censored] UP phrases are almost instinct.