Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: I\'m Ready to Discuss It... (Hand from $650 PCA Qualifier)

kramer,

mlg pretty much summed it up. it's pretty tight in a freezeout, thus it's a fold here, where we are now close enough that normal MTT strategy doesn't apply, and has been replaced by satellite strategy.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 AM

Preflop: At this point in a satellite with your stack I'm pretty much pushing any hand I intend to play. You should have a lot more FE than usual, and there are several players who will fold AQ+ and JJ to the push.

Flop: In a normal freezeout, BB's play would seem fishy, but near the bubble of a sat (really, near any bubble) people often play differently. They seem to tighten up and jam with their made hands more, especially when flush or straight draws are present, because they *really* don't want anybody to suck out. Thus, I don't think it's unlikely for him to have top pair+ here.

Also, since you indicate no read on Villain, presumably he has no read on you either, which makes it unlikely IMO that he'd plan to run a stop and go vs. an UTG+1 raiser with his stack size.

You definitely need to gamble at this stage of the tournament with your stack, but I'd prefer not to do it here.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think this is very close in an MTT though

[/ QUOTE ]

your calling here right?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 AM

If you don't know who BB is, he probably satellited in & is now playing scared. He's not going to slowplay a king he's going to jam it because he's sh!t scared of the flush draw. I'd suggest a good, fishy hand like KQo.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to this sat donk where we find value in open raising 10s utg with these stacks at this stage of a sat and prove that there is more value in raising than there is in folding or pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not gonna go into too much detail right now (I'll probably do it tomorrow) but it's a clear raise because he's short and this has nothing to do with normal medium stack sat considerations.

On the flop, MLG is right in a regular tourney. I'll think about it in a sat tomorrow. For now, though, I'll conservatively put his range at 10% 7, 20% K, 20% some random pair, 50% Axs (if anybody wants to disagree now would be a good time).
Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to this sat donk where we find value in open raising 10s utg with these stacks at this stage of a sat and prove that there is more value in raising than there is in folding or pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not gonna go into too much detail right now (I'll probably do it tomorrow) but it's a clear raise because he's short and this has nothing to do with normal medium stack sat considerations.

On the flop, MLG is right in a regular tourney. I'll think about it in a sat tomorrow. For now, though, I'll conservatively put his range at 10% 7, 20% K, 20% some random pair, 50% Axs (if anybody wants to disagree now would be a good time).

[/ QUOTE ]

range looks good, i would be calling here in a normal mtt. I think i call here in sat because im not too happy about our position and think this is a gamble we might have to take.

I don't play sats anyway near as well as you do though, so a more detailed response here would be cool
Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 AM

limp is bad because it encourages a steal attempt, which we're apparently going to fold to and if we see a flop with a J or higher and no T we're done so it's spewing.

as played (open raise to < 3x BB) it prices the BB in. He can call and do a stop n go as may have done here or maybe he actually caught something like 2 spades or 46 or 68 or 75 or K7 or K5. I agree he's not slow playing a AK or an overpair. and so you now you've got a difficult decision on the flop. If you fold and fold in the blinds, your M is pretty weak - you're going to be on the border of the red zone. Because that's such a bad place to be and you're not close enough to the bubble, I would call the flop push.

Back to pre-flop, 10s are a pretty strong hand and you need to pick one and get some more chips so that you can go back to folding. A UTG raise makes you look stronger than you are which is only a problem if If you run into something better which is not too likely.

A fold is OK but you're taking a risk that you're going to get a better situation and still have enough chips to make people fold after you fold in the blinds and / or that enough people are going to donk off their chips before you have to pick a random hand and go.

therefore, I recommend pre-flop push. as I played, I call the flop push.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:33 AM

Two spades on the flop. With a hand like KQ or two flop pairs, he can just be afraid on the draw.
In sat MTT, you see lots of this kind of plays : I DON T WAN T to let a posible draw

==> FOLD

Preflop, Limp was a good option, with reraise all in if one of the blinds is raising
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 AM

i'm not nearly an accomplished tourny player, let alone even half the tourny player some of the ppl responding to this thread are so take my advice with a grain of salt...but my first inclination was to call since his pf calling range shouldn't include very many kings. i would expect to see a smaller pair or a draw of some sort the vast majoirty of the time - and sometimes air.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

range looks good, i would be calling here in a normal mtt. I think i call here in sat because im not too happy about our position and think this is a gamble we might have to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just summed up my exact thinking in this hand. I felt it was a good enough spot to gamble because doubling up would be so huge right here. Again, I am not versed enough in satellite strategy to know if this is the best play or not.

I am still convinced that raising PF is a must, jamming is OK, and folding is pretty bad.