Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: playing well when running bad

i feel that after running sick bad for periods of time and then starting to play bad its just not good (obv). Tilt factors in etc. Anyways just clear your head and come back the next day. I try to play well the entire time and basically once you run sick bad and it continues to happen I just don't let it bother me because i dont know i am starting to feel immune to it. I can't say that i dont tilt but i am workin on it. Hov i feel for you and i can honestly say that you are better than MOST MSNL players, not all but most.

ALSO I WAS THE GUY WITH J9 > JJ ROFL. thats about the only hand i sucked out on in about a week it felt great.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:00 AM

What's the standard dev in HU play ?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 AM

Most aggro players play very badly when they run bad. Green Plastic once said his worst downswing was 18 buyins. I think 10-15 is the threshold to qualify as a significant downswing. I've never swung down more than this and couldnt imagine having a downswing worse than that while playing decently. Younghov loses 39 buyins because he is terrible at poker, but we all knew that.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most aggro players play very badly when they run bad. Green Plastic once said his worst downswing was 18 buyins. I think 10-15 is the threshold to qualify as a significant downswing. I've never swung down more than this and couldnt imagine having a downswing worse than that while playing decently. Younghov loses 39 buyins because he is terrible at poker, but we all knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went from thinking that Kanye South is a chump to thinking that Kanye South is less of a chump that I had intially thought becuase of this post. This is one of the top five posts of the year.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:57 AM

Truthfully, Id be happy to run bad infintely if I knew I was playing perfectly the whole time. But I get stuck in a loop when I run bad over a few k hands. I tilt a bit, make some bad plays, tilt some more, and then even when Im back to running normal, im still tilting and losing money.

After I get stuck a few buyins from this perpetual loop, I count each dollar of every session up or down, hoping to finally turn a winning session, which I know of course is horrible to do. Eventually I have to take a break for a few weeks, which is pretty bad considering poker is my only source of income.

Id give up 80% of my winrate to see a straight line graph.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Ive lost more than ten coinflips in a row, while going set under set twice, and getting outdrawn by 8/9 out draws a few times, KK vs AA whatever

this is a pretilt/misplay 15+ buyin downswing

greenplastic and kanye south are lucccccckkkky
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM

kanye u are one of the worst players on full tilt. 90% of the pots uve won against me uve gotten ur stack in WAAAAY behind and sucked out.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive lost more than ten coinflips in a row, while going set under set twice, and getting outdrawn by 8/9 out draws a few times, KK vs AA whatever

this is a pretilt/misplay 15+ buyin downswing

greenplastic and kanye south are lucccccckkkky

[/ QUOTE ]

whoooops

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $4/$8
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1396.40
UTG+1: $1012.60
CO: $1328.20
Button: $1664
kagame: $1177
Hero: $2009

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">kagame raises to $24</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($48, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">kagame bets $48</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $123</font>, kagame calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($294, 2 players)
kagame checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $222</font>, <font color="#cc0000">kagame raises to $960</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $1862</font>, <font color="#cc0000">kagame calls all-in $70</font>.
Uncalled bets: $832 returned to Hero.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2354, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $2354)

Results:
Final pot: $2354
kagame showed Th 7h</font>
Hero showed 8s 9d</font>
Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 PM

I think a lot of people attribute high variance due to decreased winrate as running bad. Lot's of people probably aren't big winners thus they have more variance. If you're really a 6-8ptbb/100 winner your variance should be small for any 30-40k sample. If it isn't you're either in the bad 10% or your winrate isn't what you think it is and that's just the variance naturally associated with a 2-4ptbb/100 winrate.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Younghov - if you're on a 39 buy-in downswing, why are you still playing the same limits, heads-up?

Against even halfway decent competition, heads up variance is gonna be through the roof.

Also I guarantee I'd never ever stay at a limit while dropping 39 buy-ins. Having a big bankroll for a game is great, but I can make myself move down after a big loss, regardless of how much money I have left.