Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Ask Joker about the TV industry

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, your idea has already been done: Paradise Hotel. It had a rotating cast of hot chicks and hot guys who were locked on some island and forced to hook up with each other. It was very soap opera-y, and every time someone left, someone else came in. It was generally the unpopular ones who left.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dug this show a lot.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you feel will be the next big genre? I'm talking an impact almost as big as reality TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say, because "reality" is such a broad term -- people are already using it to apply to documentary shows, game shows, basically anything that isn't scripted.

I think there will soon be a wave of interactive game shows, where viewers take a more active role in the content of the show -- on a real time basis. This will accomplish a few things: it will combat the effect of TiVo ruining ad revenue because people record their programs and skip the commercials; and it will bring the video game culture to television.

One of the reasons American Idol is such a big hit is the viewers decide the results (supposedly -- I'm still skeptical about how much the producers control the outcome). The next step is to get viewers to play along with a game on television.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Thanks Joker,

Great answer, I totally see that as an extremely plausible and likely direction.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:04 PM

PJ - since real-time tv (via broadband) won't be available on a mass scale for at least a decade (I'm not talking watching NCAA games via your browser, but TV-quality broadband delivery offered by nets and cable to your television), this kills a major type of interactivity that could be cool for the viewer.

So aren't we left with basically what we have now for real-time viewing interactivity (handheld mobile, phone, off-network internet interactivity)?

If that's the case, what would encourage viewers to be more interactive? Is it a format-strategy thing where there are better methodlogies, using existing technologies, to get the viewer to do stuff?

-Al
Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 AM

OK instead of starting a new thread, I'll use this one.

I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition with Mrs. L and had the following thought. For those not familiar with the show basically they take people with some sort of hardship including a [censored] house and build them a new ridiculously nice house.

Here's my question. Do they give the people money to cover taxes and so forth? Most of these people have huge medical bills or some other huge financial strain. I'm assuming that getting a new house would be like winning a new car on a game show and taxable. These houses are amazing and must be worth several hundred thousand, obviously depending on where they are. If they have to pay taxes on it like they won it, then they could owe 100 grand or more in taxes. That's not even taking into account property taxes, which will be a huge jump as well relative to what they were paying. Also, if they still owe money on their old house I don't see how they wouldn't go bankrupt.

On occasion they will show them giving them money or someone forgiving their debt or whatever but I would assume that they would show something like that if it happened but there usually is nothing like that. Do they help these people out financially, and not show it? Also, I'm sure noone in this thread will know but it would be interesting to see what % of these people still live in their house 5 years or so later.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my question. Do they give the people money to cover taxes and so forth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about the property tax implications a few years back, but couldn't find the USA Today article. From what I recall, the show rents the house for a period of time under which no improvements can be taxable to the owner by law according to ABC. However, I'm pretty sure some families got hit with enormous property tax bills like you assumed. Not sure on whose side won (IRS or ABC).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm sure noone in this thread will know but it would be interesting to see what % of these people still live in their house 5 years or so later.

[/ QUOTE ]

8%
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 AM

These shows are extraordinarily expensive to produce. They can bankrupt a production company if not done right. Insurance is exorbitant, the legal issues are ginormous, and the permits are outstanding. Plus you've got contractors who know they can charge an arm and a leg. These shows are total money pits.

Therefore, it's really difficult for networks to cough up an extra chunk of change for property taxes. Because of that, some families have complained about their new expenses. But the taxes aren't ALL that much compared to the value they're actually getting in the renovation.

Some compensation is made, but not enough. However, I'd think if a family was so destitute that they couldn't afford the taxes, then they can just sell the house outright, collect a huge profit, and get a normal house and pocket the change to pay off anything they want for 10 years.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What do you feel will be the next big genre? I'm talking an impact almost as big as reality TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say, because "reality" is such a broad term -- people are already using it to apply to documentary shows, game shows, basically anything that isn't scripted.

I think there will soon be a wave of interactive game shows, where viewers take a more active role in the content of the show -- on a real time basis. This will accomplish a few things: it will combat the effect of TiVo ruining ad revenue because people record their programs and skip the commercials; and it will bring the video game culture to television.

One of the reasons American Idol is such a big hit is the viewers decide the results (supposedly -- I'm still skeptical about how much the producers control the outcome). The next step is to get viewers to play along with a game on television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this already exist? gold rush or whatever it is called from Mark burnett
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the bump. Another awesome "Ask........." thread.

A couple of questions for you PJ.

What do you think of "Six Feet Under" and "Oz"?

Also, did you ever get a chance to see the first year of "Murder One", "Relativity" and, "My So Called Life" when they were on? If so, what is your opinion of them?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 AM

Joker, if you're at all serious about dramatic television or film, you need to rent the Sopranos. The idea that the Shield is deeper than Sopranos is laughable. The New York Times didn't call it "the greatest work of American popular culture in a quarter of a century" to be silly. The first two seasons of the Sopranos are indeed better than any television show or movie has been in many years.