Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Help me quit Online Poker cold turkey

Dude, call G.A.

Go to a few meetings. No shame in that. You will find lots of supportive people.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, call G.A.

Go to a few meetings. No shame in that. You will find lots of supportive people.

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS is the ONLY legitimate piece of advice possible. It's been proven time and time again that the ONLY person who could understand a problem gambler is another problem gambler.
You MUST unite with other people, trying to solve this common problem. This forum is one of the WORST places to go for advice of this nature. (As you can probably tell by some of the sarcastic replies.)
Problem gambling is a serious problem, it's DETRIMENTAL to
the world of poker. It is NOT a character flaw,it has NOTHING to do with discipline, NOTHING to do with intelligence, if ANYTHING; people with high IQ's are MORE
prone to develop the problem.
Problem gambling is an ILLNESS, this is something that NO ONE on Earth other than another problem gambler has the capability of understanding.
I wish you well- you recognize the problem; you're halfway
home now.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 AM

"just finding it so hard to fight this addiction"

That you can say those words means you have sufficient wisdom and drive to beat this.

Realize that online poker is a triple-pronged addiction. Your proportions may vary.

1) You are addicted to online poker because it is poker. It's only the greatest game ever. So no surprise there.

2) You are addicted to online poker because, independent of being poker, it is gambling, a common and ancient addiction.

3) You are addicted to online poker because it is a video game. That was the one that got me. Before they invented online poker, I had done all the gamblings thing and gradually over time just stopped. And I had played so much poker that I could walk away from a game. But I got totally hooked on online poker. It just didn't make any sense. But then I realized, I'd never been addicted to a video game before until online poker showed up, and that's what this was, my first videa game addiction. I picked a doozie! When I realized this, I was able to quit online poker immediately. Perhaps through awareness your challenge too will be easier met. Good luck.

Tommy
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"just finding it so hard to fight this addiction"

That you can say those words means you have sufficient wisdom and drive to beat this.

Realize that online poker is a triple-pronged addiction. Your proportions may vary.

1) You are addicted to online poker because it is poker. It's only the greatest game ever. So no surprise there.

2) You are addicted to online poker because, independent of being poker, it is gambling, a common and ancient addiction.

3) You are addicted to online poker because it is a video game. That was the one that got me. Before they invented online poker, I had done all the gamblings thing and gradually over time just stopped. And I had played so much poker that I could walk away from a game. But I got totally hooked on online poker. It just didn't make any sense. But then I realized, I'd never been addicted to a video game before until online poker showed up, and that's what this was, my first videa game addiction. I picked a doozie! When I realized this, I was able to quit online poker immediately. Perhaps through awareness your challenge too will be easier met. Good luck.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know you played online tommy? How do you go, what did you play?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 AM

It is sad that when someone reaches out for help, some feel it is acceptable to make fun. Please take the good advice that has been offered in this thread. Call GA and get all gambling sites and software off of your computer. A few thousand isn't that bad but if you are an addict it is just the beginning.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:49 AM

I would say, get the rest of your life in order before you try to walk away.

eg if you chuck out all the books, ps icon, etc, r u really going to quit?

Probably not, because their is probably a void in your life that is filled by gambling/online poker.

Sooooo, fill that void with friends, community service, a second job, etc.

Once you fill that void, you will not feel the need for the poker. THen, see if you need to toss the books, etc. Otherwise, you are just putting a band aid on the weeping sore.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, call G.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:29 AM

Bad habits are tough to break. They say it takes roughly 3 weeks to develop a new habit. e.g. if you want to start working out, you need to maintain it for 21 days, before it becomes a new habit. So basically, my suggestion is to start developing constuctive habits that will take up your time, so you have less and less time for poker. The worst thing about poker is that it screws up your mind. Can't even sleep at a decent hour after you're done playing because you're so wired. Get a sticky note and post it to your computer: "DON'T BE WEAK", and start spending your time more constructively. It's really a matter of programming yourself that you want to quit. Those that say they "can't" simply haven't decided hard enough that they want to quit. And if you want some emotional support join GA.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:02 AM

www.gamblock.com

seriously
Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just play tournaments.

But seriously, are you belowmeaboveme on Stars? If so, I thought you were near the top of TLB. Always imagined a top tournament player would have a bigger BR, but I guess Mike Matusow disproves that notion. Anyways, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats Bel0wAb0ve your thinking off. This isn't him.