Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Help me quit Online Poker cold turkey

Hey, well I'll keep my bio brief, basically I started playing online poker about 3 years ago, doing the whole play money freeroll thing. Over that time I'd taken that small initial deposit up to over 2k, and was very content just to quit the game, and move on with my life.
Problem is I may be done with poker, but poker isn't done with me. Now whenever I sit at the computer I just have this [censored] compunction to click on the PokerStars icon and deposit money and play. Basically i've lost 1000 dollars over the past 2 weeks, while trying to quit. I REALLY REALLY want to quit, but am just finding it so hard to fight this addiction to playing. I know it will just exacerbate, and I'll start losing more and more, so I'm pleading does anyone know a good way to fight this addiction. All the other parts of my life are fine, just this problem is giving me serious worries.
Gracias,
BeL0w
Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Help me quit Online Poker cold turkey

Turn on the heater?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:28 AM

why would we want to help you quit?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 AM

chnage our PC system from Microsoft to Linux. The most software dont work than
Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 AM

I have the same problem as you buddy.

While I don't play for a lot of money (My bankroll is 150$), I spend way too much time on online poker. I am a student, and I often end up playing tourneys while I should be doing my homework. It ruins my life, and I'm sure it makes me a less social person. My family are pretty worried about me, and at the moment I am lieing to my mom, saying I am taking a break from online poker. In reality I am playing several tourneys a day.

I really recognize your description of the problem, because sometimes when I am bored, should be doing work, or be at the gym, I end up clicking that damn PokerStars icon instead. I've tried to take a break for a weak, but I always end up in square one.

This stuff is pretty serious, and I don't have a solution for us, unfortuneatly. Sorry about hijacking your post, but I think we are kinda in the same situation.

Good luck to you, and I hope you manage yourself. Because some very few people really should not play poker.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck to you, and I hope you manage yourself. Because some very few people really should not play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]I presume you meant to write "most" people but the computer crashed or something, right?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I presume you meant to write "most" people but the computer crashed or something, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.. that's not something you go around saying in a poker forum! For diciplined people poker is probably just a real fun hobby. I don't know how diciplined the average person is, i can only speak for myself.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:04 PM

A couple of things

You can self-ban yourself (I think) from most sites, or at least set really low deposit limits.

Here is another thought. You can quit playing poker and still keep in contact with the game.. Why don't you commit a whole 2 months to reading and studing the game (during whatever spare time you have). I know one guy who did that, and in doing so he realized how far behind the winning players he really was in his overall understanding of the game, so he then he just quit.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:28 PM

well i'd start by deleting the icon from your desktop.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i'd start by deleting the icon from your desktop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and deleting the program from your computer. You need to keep yourself busy with other things or you will think about playing online when you get to your computer...

Gambling is very addictive.... almost like drugs.