Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 01:35 PM

Default Re: **OFFICIAL** LOST Season 3 Episode 6 Thread -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He might have figured, or guessed, that Juliet is lying / making a move for the leadership, and is hoping that threatening to kill Ben might force acquiescence from the rest of them, but he surely can't be certain that every Other is 100% loyal to Ben.

[/ QUOTE ]
He can be pretty sure that a majority of the others currently surrounding ben/juliette want ben alive, otherwise they could all just kick ben's ass together. But juliette told jack that if he killed ben, they could easily pass it off as an accident. That gives jack reason to believe his plan would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate Ben has the majority, this much is apparent. The problem is that an unknown number of Others may not be loyal to Ben, ie. the guy Jack radios and instructs to release Kate and Sawyer may be loyal to Juliet and just refuse, allowing Ben to die. Any Others that might be told to give them free passage out of the Others' compound might just elect to shoot them and force Jack to make good on his threat.

The point I'm making is that a plan that involves "do XYZ or I will kill Ben" is kinda shaky when an unknown proportion of the Others may have a vested interest in provoking Jack to do it.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 PM

The stick said "lift up your eyes and look north" (which is part of Genesis 13:14, also written on the stick) and it said "John" right underneath that (as part of 'John 3:05').

Locke took it as a sign for him (his name being John, and that's what Eko always called him) to head north. What they might find there is unknown now, whether it be the second island or the Others' jungle village or what.

That's what I got out of it.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go play FFXII or something. Hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fierce multitasker biotch.

Ray
Old 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One is that we're not with our main people enough, and the other is [that people are] sick and tired of seeing redundant flashback stories. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the other alternative, of course, is for them to concentrate on moving the story forward with the main characters and only doing backstories that are not redundant.

most of that interview I liked...but that part I did not. they are basically admitting that they have some desire to stall and string along the series by introducing new characters that had zero relevance to seasons 1 and 2, instead of concentrating on current 'island time' events with the known Losties.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I got out of the interview is that there's a line which sort of hints at the fact that while they have the final answers to the big question - where is the island, how will they get off, etc - they didn't sound like they know exactly WHEN that will happen. So the discussions we've had before on here regarding how many seasons this will go is probably tied into that. My read on the comment is that they still know exactly where they want to go, but they're trying to balance that with the number of episodes or seasons that the network may be pressuring them with.

So perhaps they're being forced to stretch things out a bit, which is probably tough.

I'll say again, this is still better than 99% of what's on TV IMO, so I'll be eagerly awaiting February to roll around. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how they handle Desmond's storyline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you speak to the crux of the issue, which we've spoken about here before - it's basically the creative wishes of the writers vs the monetary demands of the network. I'm sure the writers of the show think that artistically and creatively there is a great way to tell the rest of the story - and I'm sure that the network wants the story to take at least twice as long, b/c they make more money that way. And both groups have valid reasons for wanting it there way, it's just that the 2 viewpoints are not 100% aligned.

as I've said before, it's the X Files problem - take the best show on TV and stretch it out so much that it's an unresolvable mess that nobody cares about anymore. I still have faith that it won't end up like that (for no good reason, just b/c like Fox Mulder, I Want To Believe)
Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The point I'm making is that a plan that involves "do XYZ or I will kill Ben" is kinda shaky when an unknown proportion of the Others may have a vested interest in provoking Jack to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe all the Others that have a direct affect on Jack's plan do want Ben dead. But are any of them willing to act openly to make Jack follow through on his threat?

It's one thing to want the guy dead - it's something else entirely to actively work towards his death.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe all the Others that have a direct affect on Jack's plan do want Ben dead. But are any of them willing to act openly to make Jack follow through on his threat?

It's one thing to want the guy dead - it's something else entirely to actively work towards his death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. Even though Jack would be directly responsible for his death (should he die), the Others that didn't follow through by letting Kate go would be indirectly responsible. This would likely cause a huge rift in their camp.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Anyone have any theories on what they are working on in the rock yard? Jack asks what they are doing and Kate tells Jack "We are moving rocks all day. Its something really big."

She hints they there is some cause to move and break up these rocks but I really have no idea what could be "that big."
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM

Kate was pretty annoying in this episode. Considering she's supposed to have a shifty conniving, clever disposition, she acts like a basket case.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any theories on what they are working on in the rock yard? Jack asks what they are doing and Kate tells Jack "We are moving rocks all day. Its something really big."

She hints they there is some cause to move and break up these rocks but I really have no idea what could be "that big."

[/ QUOTE ]
For no good reason, my theory is a runway.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For no good reason, my theory is a runway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My theory is that it's for no purpose other than to keep the prisoners busy all day. Apparently this technique was used during the Vietnam war with POWs.