Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Pot Control with JJ vs. known 2p2\'er

[ QUOTE ]

This is the reason I check the flop. Of course, nobody wants to listen to that reasoning, so...on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how do you see this playing out if this happens?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM

if I had to guess I'd say AJ has a fd here. I'm pretty sure he raises flop with a set, AKs is a standard reraise pre, and I highly doubt he calls a pf raise with 97o,even otb. I would bet the turn tbh, by checking you give him control of the hand.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an aggro 2p2er, I can't really see AK here. I suppose it depends on how often he has been 3-betting PF, but I would think that most ssnl 2+2ers would 3-bet AK, at least on the button. AK matches flop action pretty well though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is one of the reasons I really love to call with AK on the button, instead of 3-bet. If not always, at least with some regularity.

It helps to get a lot of value when you hit if you keep preflop calling range wider. It sucks vs. other TAGs when your range for calling OTB (and not 3-betting) is basically 22-99.

In general, in position, I call a lot more and don't 3-bet much except big hands and the occasional squeeze. I never worry about getting action with QQ+ when I 3-bet on the button, especially if CO opens, because all the TAGs put you on a position squeeze anyway.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM

cmon AJ, you raise the flop with bottom set don't you???

OP,
I probably c/c turn and c/c river vs a very aggro 2p2er known to float. I've never played AJ much so I don't know how he is. However, you have a hand with showdown value and you have invited AJ to try to push you off of it, now you get to live with that! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am a fish!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 PM

It depends on my opponent and what he does on the flop. since you knew that your opponent was a 2+2er with position on this PARTICULAR board, I might be inclined to let it go if he PSBs. Why? Because with this board and against this opponent, I feel that he may very well put me into a tough decision whether he makes his flush or has a king or if a straight card comes out or whatever.

Let me put it to you another way: say you bet and he calls. OK - what's your plan on the turn if a non-spade comes out? Bet again? What if it was another non-spade straight card? What's the point if you are letting this go on the river if a spade comes up or if you suddenly become scared of that king or if a straight card comes out and he puts you to the test. How do you know if he has it or not? It's a perfect situation for him to use position against you, especially if you have been playing tight and weakish.

Anyway, that's why AJ sent you a nice little message saying "I could have had four different hands," too bad you couldn't figure it out OOP.

I'm not saying cont. betting is horrible here. What I am saying is that every board and player is different, and the "standard cont. bet line" doesn't always work. this is especially true against good players in position who have see and play off these cont. bets 5,000 times a month. Sometimes checking/folding, even if "OMG I have JJ" is your situation, is the best play. A lot of it depends on who you are playing against with position. Checking, incidently, also works for meta game OOP. God forbid if it saves you some money or a big pot decision on the river.

I think that this situation is one of those times.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cmon AJ, you raise the flop with bottom set don't you???

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, many people are unfamiliar with the Baluga Theorem...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on how you played the hand, I would check the turn and revaluate. Against some players, I lay it down; against others, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Don't you mean that you lay it down against some players and do something ELSE against others?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, many people are unfamiliar with the Baluga Theorem...

[/ QUOTE ]
Still man, if you have 55, raise the flop before a spade falls and kills your action/beats you. The guy with a pair of K's will probably interpret your raise as a FD or something and get the money in early.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM

One overcard on the flop and it isn't an Ace? I bet a big fraction of the pot, like you did. The only reason I would be too worried would be if he reacted to the flop, which I couldn't see online.

A second King makes it less likely that he has a King. Besides, if he has me beat, why is he letting me play my Spade Draw? I bet fifteen bucks on the turn. If he raises, I read and react. Since I don't play NL online, I would be reading and reacting incorrectly perhaps, but that is what I would do. Without the flush draw, which is one of his most likely holdings, I might check the turn, exactly as I might if I had AK with no flush draw out there.

I check the river and read and react. If I respect this guy's game, I know that he will be stealing more often. That means I have to call and raise more often.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM

Snapcall river.