Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Turning into a Sociopath?

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of college gives an athletic scholarship to a kid who just spent four years in prison? And if this kid was allegedly in prison for four years just before going to college, how is it that he was a friend of the OP during high school, while seemingly also serving time in prison? I call b.s.

Even if true, this story is irrelevant. I doubt that the OP forgot to mention that part about his having spent four years in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad reading comprehension FTL.

To OP: In your fantasies, who are the targets of your aggression/anger/violence?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of college gives an athletic scholarship to a kid who just spent four years in prison? And if this kid was allegedly in prison for four years just before going to college, how is it that he was a friend of the OP during high school, while seemingly also serving time in prison? I call b.s.

Even if true, this story is irrelevant. I doubt that the OP forgot to mention that part about his having spent four years in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad reading comprehension FTL.

To OP: In your fantasies, who are the targets of your aggression/anger/violence?

[/ QUOTE ]

To clear things up I did not know the guy who held a knife to his GF's throat. He was just telling a story that was related.

The violent visions are always people I know and who I am close to (brothers, roommate, coworkers).

I should also not that I realize I am not showing the signs of a true sociopath. I just though that I should put that as the subject instead of "turning into a serial killer/violent criminal?" due to the repsonse that subject might illicit.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 20 years old. I have always been non-violent and pretty non-assertive I don't like confrontation. However, lately I have been obsessed with serial murder and books about true crime and criminal history. Along with this I have had some violent fantasies (fantasy is strong of a word, I don't sit around and think about doing violent acts. Its more of the idea of hurting someone/thing pops into my head and I am immediately try and think abotu somethign else and I forget about it).

Now in my reading of serial killers I have learned that a lot of them get their start this way, so I have become worried that I might be slowly turning into a more agressive, violent type person. However, I also know that most serial killers/violent criminals are also sociopaths. This is where I have not changed, I am always worrying abotu whther or not I have hurt someone feelings or if I have wronged someone.

OTOT, my violent "flashes" have started to become a little more frequent (not an alarming rate). However, I feel extremely wrong even thiking about murdering/hurting someone and know this is not "ok" behaivor. Nor have I started to extravagantly dream about hurting someone nor have I detached myself from reality. I have however become more passive agressive. I slam a controller down in disgust, or I will slam my door really hard as a way of venting my anger (while this is not considered weird, I should note that I am usaulyl able to contsrain my angers and this behaivor only recently started)

What I was wondering is this something I should seek professional help for? are sudden personality changes something one can expect to happen over a lifetime or is it something that usaully indicates a more server behaivor to follow? If you have any questions and feel it might not be appropiate for the board feel free to PM me.

Not sure if this is somewhere to post this. I am just not sure what to do and would like someone else opinion on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, what you've just described is a common symptom of OCD. See a doctor. Drugs are readily available to treat this. In all seriousness.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 PM

This is retarded.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, what you've just described is a common symptom of OCD. See a doctor. Drugs are readily available to treat this. In all seriousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at this as an armchair psychologist, I don't think violent flashes or fantasies are related to OCD.

Wikipedia: Serial Killer

If any of that sounds somewhat familiar, please go see a professional ASAP.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at this as an armchair psychologist, I don't think violent flashes or fantasies are related to OCD.

Wikipedia: Serial Killer

If any of that sounds somewhat familiar, please go see a professional ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, 'involuntary' thoughts of violence, all the while knowing that it's wrong and that you would never actually do it, is one common symptom of OCD. I had a friend who suffered from this and the problem was very easily controlled by drugs.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 AM

I agree with the voiced concern for Bipolar Disorder, or in other words Manic-depressive disorder. A common symptom found in early stages of BPD is a person having very morbid fantasies, becoming obsessed with death, corpses, murder, and all sorts of dead animals etc. It isn't likely that you are developing BPD, however its still a precaution. Do you often find yourself having periods of weeks of being depressed, and or having excessive energy with difficulties concentrating and trouble sleeping??
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the voiced concern for Bipolar Disorder, or in other words Manic-depressive disorder. A common symptom found in early stages of BPD is a person having very morbid fantasies, becoming obsessed with death, corpses, murder, and all sorts of dead animals etc. It isn't likely that you are developing BPD, however its still a precaution. Do you often find yourself having periods of weeks of being depressed, and or having excessive energy with difficulties concentrating and trouble sleeping??

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not believe I have periods where I am depressed. I do not have excessive energy.(truth be told, all I ever really do it sit around and smoke weed with my brother and friends). I have had some trouble sleeping but it hasnt been serious just 1 night every now and then and I usaully have a lot on my mind when this occurs.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:12 AM

Thought of harming those close to you followed by guilt for having those thoughts perfectly mirrors the type of OCD I've come in contact with. The drugs helped somewhat. The therapy helped more.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:00 AM

Get professional help, period. Quit reading that garbage. Quit smoking weed! Remember GIGO: Garbage in, Garbage out. Sincerely, Good luck, think positive.