Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Turning into a Sociopath?

I am 20 years old. I have always been non-violent and pretty non-assertive I don't like confrontation. However, lately I have been obsessed with serial murder and books about true crime and criminal history. Along with this I have had some violent fantasies (fantasy is strong of a word, I don't sit around and think about doing violent acts. Its more of the idea of hurting someone/thing pops into my head and I am immediately try and think abotu somethign else and I forget about it).

Now in my reading of serial killers I have learned that a lot of them get their start this way, so I have become worried that I might be slowly turning into a more agressive, violent type person. However, I also know that most serial killers/violent criminals are also sociopaths. This is where I have not changed, I am always worrying abotu whther or not I have hurt someone feelings or if I have wronged someone.

OTOT, my violent "flashes" have started to become a little more frequent (not an alarming rate). However, I feel extremely wrong even thiking about murdering/hurting someone and know this is not "ok" behaivor. Nor have I started to extravagantly dream about hurting someone nor have I detached myself from reality. I have however become more passive agressive. I slam a controller down in disgust, or I will slam my door really hard as a way of venting my anger (while this is not considered weird, I should note that I am usaulyl able to contsrain my angers and this behaivor only recently started)

What I was wondering is this something I should seek professional help for? are sudden personality changes something one can expect to happen over a lifetime or is it something that usaully indicates a more server behaivor to follow? If you have any questions and feel it might not be appropiate for the board feel free to PM me.

Not sure if this is somewhere to post this. I am just not sure what to do and would like someone else opinion on the topic.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Turning into a Sociopath?

I don't know if u are asking the right people dude. Therapy would probably help you sort some of this out. Thoughts are thoughts and as long as you don't act on them. Socio's have no cconscience so to speak so they don't consider it wrong or feel guilty about killing. Take a shower, kill someone, have a bite to eat, watch tv. all the same lol.

It's good that your not entertaining these fantasies, or intrusive thoughts but they are concerning, no? Go tell your doctor and see a therapist. Your not gonna get locked up or anything as long as you state that you have no intentions to harm anyone or yourself.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 PM

First, I wouldn't worry too much about "wrong" thoughts. Everyone has them. You might want to ask yourself why you are having them, and what bothers you about them. If you start acting on your urges in ways that disturb you, that would be a warning sign. I've read that many serial killers torture animals prior to killing people, for example. I'd also recommend talking to someone about your thoughts. Needs to be someone outside your normal life, so that you can be honest without reprecussions. btw, if you've made it to 20 without doing anything violent, there's a pretty good chance you aren't going to suddenly change.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:24 PM

Sociopaths are people who have no conscience and don't care if they hurt people. You don't seem to be a sociopath to me, but I am no professional and a professional would need to find out a lot more and charge a lot of money to make that diagnosis.

When you start to make definite plans on how to act out on your fantasies, like stocking up on gloves, masks and knives, then call the authorities for help.

If you had sexual fantasies about banging the starlets on TV would you wonder if you were a sex fiend?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had sexual fantasies about banging the starlets on TV would you wonder if you were a sex fiend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 PM

You are at an age when bipolar disorder shows itself in males.

If it runs in your family, check out professional help.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are at an age when bipolar disorder shows itself in males.

If it runs in your family, check out professional help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it doesn't I would get this checked out. Had a friend from HS who was one of the most mello people I have ever known. He got a college scholarship for basketball, freshman year his girlfriend of about a year dumped him. He wanted to talk to her about, picked her up in his car, drove her out to the middle of nowhere and held a knife to her throat and told her that he would kill both of them if she left him. Turned out he was bipolar and he just got out of jail after 4 years. I think if you are entertaing thoughts that you might be a sociopath, you should get some help.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:05 AM

Roundman, that is a cool story. OP I would take everyones advice and see a proffessional. I bet nothing is wrong with you, but it will put your mind to rest. If you are as mellow as you say you are, maybe that is your problem. Sometimes getting angry is a natural and healthy response, and you are upset but you supress it.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Even if it doesn't I would get this checked out. Had a friend from HS who was one of the most mello people I have ever known. He got a college scholarship for basketball, freshman year his girlfriend of about a year dumped him. He wanted to talk to her about, picked her up in his car, drove her out to the middle of nowhere and held a knife to her throat and told her that he would kill both of them if she left him. Turned out he was bipolar and he just got out of jail after 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of college gives an athletic scholarship to a kid who just spent four years in prison? And if this kid was allegedly in prison for four years just before going to college, how is it that he was a friend of the OP during high school, while seemingly also serving time in prison? I call b.s.

Even if true, this story is irrelevant. I doubt that the OP forgot to mention that part about his having spent four years in prison.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Even if it doesn't I would get this checked out. Had a friend from HS who was one of the most mello people I have ever known. He got a college scholarship for basketball, freshman year his girlfriend of about a year dumped him. He wanted to talk to her about, picked her up in his car, drove her out to the middle of nowhere and held a knife to her throat and told her that he would kill both of them if she left him. Turned out he was bipolar and he just got out of jail after 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of college gives an athletic scholarship to a kid who just spent four years in prison? And if this kid was allegedly in prison for four years just before going to college, how is it that he was a friend of the OP during high school, while seemingly also serving time in prison? I call b.s.

Even if true, this story is irrelevant. I doubt that the OP forgot to mention that part about his having spent four years in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was trying to say that recently this guy got out of jail for whatever he had done prior. That the sequence of events was HS->Scholarship->Freshmen Year Events->Jail.