Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: .02 nl: AA vs sudden push on river

Hey -- no worries...

If anyone's going to be making fun of me at the penny table, it's me...

Having zero online experience with stakes higher than two cents, I can only theorize that the lower your real money commitment, the more likely you are to attract the beginner. Fortunately, as you point out, donks will float to top of their credit limit -- otherwise they'd all be with me at the two-cent table.

[threadjack]There are very strange exceptions at these tables -- just like at every level, players multitable to increase their ROI. But there are a handful of people who simul up to a dozen 0.01/0.02 tables and, frankly, it freaks me out. (Why not play .10/.25?) Even with an unthinkably high long-term PTBB/100 of say 50 -- which isn't the case for most nut peddlers -- that juggernaut effort yields a mere $1.00 USD per hour per table. Maybe that's enough profit for them, but that would barely cover what I would have to consume in ephedrine to play at that level of concentration...[/threadjack]

And you're completely correct -- I have no idea what this nit has in the hole. I should have said top pair/top kicker instead of exemplifing it as K8s. Either way, it would appear to me that poor Archon is beat...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My excuse for being there is that if I'm gonna climb up the ladder, I start at the first rung. I'm pretty sure that some people at the penny table do not have that same motive...

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to add to this...

I started my climb on the now dead to US players, Everest.

They have free limit SNGs where the winner wins .05. That's right... a nickle. So i won 4 of those, and took my .20 to the .02/.04 limit tables.

I managed to grind to $5.
That's right...$5.

$5 went to the $2 NL buyin tables that are on Everest. From that point, i stayed there till i got to $100.
$100 moved to Titan Poker (which i don't know if US players can still go here) in the $5 NL rooms, until i got to $200.

Now at $200, i play $10 NL buyin at Full Tilt and am currently at $390.

Starting at the bottom and climbing...nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 AM

vorshot,

that is very impressive. the only problem is if you can afford to start at 10 or 25nl, you skip the weeks or months of grinding up to that point, so you can win a lot more money. i imagine you would also progress more quickly along the learning curve
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Jesus Ferg did it with $1. I wanted to try and beat that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In all serious though, if you never had to buy in, you could never lose money. Every day i play, i play with someone else's money. When i have a loosing session, it really doesn't bother me at all, because i know that i climbed to here, and i'll be fine.

To be honest, i've also been living kinda paycheck to paycheck (which is why i withdrew all my online bankroll) and because i was unable to deposit for a month there, i decided to start this.

By the time i could afford to buy back online...i didn't need to.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM

You played it fine, make it more pf in this game though.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:45 PM

More discussion? :P Cool.

[ QUOTE ]
Wicked -- a fellow player of Parsimony Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what that means.
[ QUOTE ]

On the flip side -- at the low, low, low-stakes tables -- the "cost" of playing will often dictate donk behavior. To you, the thoughtful player and 2+2 disciple, this is a huge (~90BB) pot that can't be so easily let go. To him, it cost less than the price of a can of soda for the opportunity to bust you with a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're actualy correct in some sense. I have friends that are always like "Why wouldn't you play that hand for 2 cents??" However, I don't want to just beat the penny tables. ;p I've seen players quite bad up to 50 NL. (I played there because I was trying to Party's cashout restricted bonus (No more of that anymore :/) -- at that point I couldn't play micro limits ;/ That's also how I got pokertracker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) There are obviously thinking players spread around, but it's pretty much donk city. But anyhow, it's a good idea to develop habits on playing well. One cannot beat decent players if they can't play well against bad players. So I am quite aware that grinding from penny tables could be considered a waste of time, one could get a job, but it's also an oppurtunity to learn how to play against weak competition and at mininal risk. Plus br management. ;p
[ QUOTE ]

This would be where I'd want to consider whatever stats I had on the vilain. Got any?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite donkish (63/6/1.25) But that makes the push a bit more shocking. When passive players make moves like this, they probaly do have a real hand. ;p
Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But there are a handful of people who simul up to a dozen 0.01/0.02 tables and, frankly, it freaks me out. (Why not play .10/.25?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bankroll requirements do not change with multitabling unless you play so many tables that you can't keep your stacks, but you'd probaly be underbankrolled anyways. They probaly don't have the 500-600 for 25 nl.

It's a good idea to play as many tables as you're capable of to maximize your potential. Of course, this does not mean 12 for everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Friends of mine play some .1/.2 sessions periodically for fun at PS. I try to run 65/40/5 with no consistency on raising. Its fun, wild, and surprising easy to make a profit. I joke with a friend that I wish I had the bankroll to play at the higher levels with no worries about money, and the chips are just chips.

In the OP's regular hand, you obviously are not beating anything, and thats the beauty of this level. You can put certain players on a pretty easy range of hands, hit your 2pair/trips/straight/flush and get paid off by overbetting. I think you can sit with 250bb's? $5.00 in this game?