MP1 ($1.95)
MP2 ($3.17)
CO ($3.27)
Button ($3.18)
SB ($2.98)
BB ($3.98)
Hero ($3.57)
UTG+1 ($1.26)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.03.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.08, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.78) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, MP2 calls $0.50.

River: ($1.78) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $2.34 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $4.12

I was hoping to check/call on the river, but suddenly villian, who's just been calling down suddenly decides to get aggressive. Now, I do understand at these limits people will push with all kinds of random crap, but from what I've seen he usually has a hand in a big pot.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Help a newb out here.;p
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: .02 nl: AA vs sudden push on river

I'd raise slightly bigger PF.
Bet the turn harder, then dependant on reads I might well fold the river. The river card is horrible for you it brings in all the draws from the flop and more. Not a good card for you.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Remember to adjust your PFR amount when you have posters in the hand. Treat them as limpers.

I think the hand is played OK. Flop and turn are good. River, meh. Checking is OK. With his overbet you have to be ahead alot to call. I can see him having a hand like 98 or 56 and have you beat. Probably an OK c/f.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the quick replies

Since I was UTG, I forgot about posters. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Do you think there's any value in trying to bet around $1 on the river? Perhaps he might have a straight but is afraid of a flush or higher straight?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:43 PM

If you bet $1 on the river, you pot commit yourself if he raises. One pair, messed up board, your hand's not so big by the river. I don't mind a check on the end.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Ok, cool. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 AM

Wicked -- a fellow player of Parsimony Poker.

I would want to play this hand as you did -- but I'm now in the late stages of that disease that prevents dropping bullets...

I'd put the villain on K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- but there are enough possible hands that could crack your aces. So, it likely makes sense to have put down your hand. You'd have to win the SD about 60% of the time to make this call profitable...

On the flip side -- at the low, low, low-stakes tables -- the "cost" of playing will often dictate donk behavior. To you, the thoughtful player and 2+2 disciple, this is a huge (~90BB) pot that can't be so easily let go. To him, it cost less than the price of a can of soda for the opportunity to bust you with a flush draw.

This would be where I'd want to consider whatever stats I had on the vilain. Got any?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put the villain on K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[ QUOTE ]
To you, the thoughtful player and 2+2 disciple, this is a huge (~90BB) pot that can't be so easily let go. To him, it cost less than the price of a can of soda for the opportunity to bust you with a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not good thinking
Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 AM

Since I theoretically folded, I'd have to put him on a hand that beat mine. K8s was just a guess that might match his previous calls, i.e.: flops top pair and backs into a flush draw.

Why is the relative weight of the stakes not good thinking? I mean, it's not good reasoning for the astute player -- we try to rationalize probablilties in order to act in a positive EV manner.

I guess it doesn't matter what their motive for being that loose and careless. But don't forget, this is 0.01/0.02. Your BB/100 would have to be an unimaginably high number to make this pursuit anything but entertainment value. When I see yet another maniac saddle up to the table with his five sheet for an hour's fun -- cranking out VPIPs in the mid-80s and higher -- I think it's my responsibility as a good player to recognize the dead money before someone else does...

More clearly: I'm not saying one should play like that, but a number of loose people do.

My excuse for being there is that if I'm gonna climb up the ladder, I start at the first rung. I'm pretty sure that some people at the penny table do not have that same motive...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 AM

dannie,

putting him on exactly k8s is silly. you should try to put villain on a range of hands and assign probabilities to them, like straight 75%, bluff 25% for a simple example.

as for the second part, i think we may have misunderstood each other. relative stakes shouldn't matter because as you move up donks will play the same way. lots of complete donks play as high as they can, and will make stupid bluffs, put lots of money in on bad situations, etc. i wasn't trying to be offensive or anything or make fun of you for playing these limits