Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: SMU coach has no idea when or not to go for 2 or kick an extra poi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's an obvious one, but what about ones where it's a but more subtle?

Like down by 14 with 5 minutes to go or whatever, they never go for 2.

There are all sorts of situations like this during games, but the proper call is rarely made, I think mostly because the public won't understand if [censored] goes awry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

I am surprised nobody ever does this. When you're down 14 late, why not go for 2? Assuming you get the 2 TDS and hold the opposition scoreless:
You make the 2, you win
You miss it, but make the next one, you go to OT.
You miss both, you can kick onsides or do what you have to do to get the ball back again.

Seems +EV compared to going to OT. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess.. I never really thought about this one. Also, I hate when a team has plenty of time. Say there are at midfield down by 5 w/ a minute and 20 seconds and teh QB spikes the ball! Jeez!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:22 PM

How about Pete Caroll going for it and missing on 4th and goal from the 10 at the end of the 3rd quarter, down 23 to Oregon State. Think they'd like to have those 3 points now?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about Pete Caroll going for it and missing on 4th and goal from the 10 at the end of the 3rd quarter, down 23 to Oregon State. Think they'd like to have those 3 points now?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL ya.. That was a hell of a comeback btw
Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the correct call at the time and only looks bad because they lost by 2.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the correct call at the time and only looks bad because they lost by 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. A FG puts you down 20. 3 TDs and you win.

4th and 9 or 10 or whatever, was a longshot, as was having to make two two-point conversions just to get to OT. I thought it was a bad call at the time, which is the only reason I remember it, so I'm not just saying it now because they lost by 2. When you're down 23, you're going to need a FG eventually, in all probability.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: SMU coach has no idea when or not to go for 2 or kick an extra point.

I watched this game
the coach was terribly wrong both times

it disgusts me
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. A FG puts you down 20. 3 TDs and you win.

4th and 9 or 10 or whatever, was a longshot, as was having to make two two-point conversions just to get to OT. I thought it was a bad call at the time, which is the only reason I remember it, so I'm not just saying it now because they lost by 2. When you're down 23, you're going to need a FG eventually, in all probability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me say that I didn't see the game and I assume that by end of the 3rd quarter, you meant in the final minute or so. If there was say, 5:00 left then I would agree with you.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are all sorts of situations like this during games, but the proper call is rarely made, I think mostly because the public won't understand if [censored] goes awry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

I am surprised nobody ever does this. When you're down 14 late, why not go for 2? Assuming you get the 2 TDS and hold the opposition scoreless:
You make the 2, you win
You miss both, you can kick onsides or do what you have to do to get the ball back again.

Seems +EV compared to going to OT. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absoultely right, and if you run the numbers, it's not even close. I've done this in Madden a few times, and I am happy with the results.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 PM

The other one that drives me crazy. Down by 15. A team scores a touchdown with 5 minutes left, and goes for 1?

That's stupid. Now you,ve put yourself in a situation where you have to have a touchdown and twopoint conversion to tie. If you had gone for 2 earlier, you would either just need 7 to tie, or at least you would know you have to score twice while there is a little time left.

When I see this happen, I always root fot the team to score with no time left, and fail on the two point conversion attempt.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

You make the 2, you win

[/ QUOTE ]

But you make both 1 point conversions more often than you make 1/2 on 2-point conversions (the scenario where you miss the first two-pointer) (or go 0/2 on 2-point conversions AND recover an onside).

But last year, didn't some NFL team go for 2 when they could have gone for the tie and OT?