Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Flop top set - how do I extract the most?

In general I agree with smooth calling the flop, checking behind on the turn, but what about OPs read? I think I would be mighty tempted to come over the top on the flop because we suspect villian is on tilt. OP has a read, so put it to use.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM

You should never, never give a free card when there is a resonable chance of being outdrawn. If anybody could demonstrate a counter example to my asserstion I'd be pleased to hear it.
About the only time I'm giving a free card is when I think I'm ahead is when the flop looks harmless like K82 rainbow. I have a lock or near lock. There are negative implied odds associated with a bet, I'm holding 4T on a flop of 234 all one suit, I'm not betting that even though I'm probably ahead.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should never, never give a free card when there is a resonable chance of being outdrawn. If anybody could demonstrate a counter example to my asserstion I'd be pleased to hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]When my own hand is not really that strong and I want to keep the pot small. Like having a single pair on the turn. I often check behind here, because villain doesn't necessarily have to be on a draw, and if he has a made hand I'm likly way behind. Not the kind of hand I want to build a big pot with and have to decide if a big river bet is a bluff or not.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 PM

I'm assuming a situation where you are fairly sure you have the best hand. Sure, you're not putting much in the pot if you think you might already be beaten.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Ah, ok. I just misunderstood the use of "never, never" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I just wanted to chime in because sometimes people get so caught up with charging draws that they end up building huge pots with small pot hands and then getting stacked cause they can't get away.