Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you are a VIP what limits do you play?
.50/1 0 0%
1/2 1 0.88%
2/4 6 5.31%
3/6 11 9.73%
5/10 14 12.39%
10/20 8 7.08%
15/30 4 3.54%
20/40 7 6.19%
30/60 7 6.19%
no limit 14 12.39%
I'm not VIP 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Big hand vs. Allen Cunningham

youve got "AC" pegged as weak tight. I think thats a little presumptuous.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would take the time to think it over and decide it was better not to bluff off all my chips against a top pro who is great at reading people.
---------------
I believe most pros get a lot of chips from people bluffing into them, not from bluffing people off hands (other then in the right situations obv).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am young and therefore have no fear. I think that this helps me in several aspects of my live game and hinders me in other parts.

I think that I am good at giving off false tells and since AC does not know me, my false tells will be all that he has to go on if he does have a marginal call that is going to come down to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too bad there's no realistic way to bet on this, because I'd make a big bet that these fake tells don't work (against Cunningham) the way you think/hope they do.

[ QUOTE ]
In reality, I think that since he does not know me his decission to fold will be based on the fact that I have played my hand like a set

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldn't look like a set to me. It's conceivable you'd play a set like that, but it's not like your line screams "set."

[ QUOTE ]
Given my reads I think Pf and flop are completely standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but yikes, what reads.

[ QUOTE ]
Now on the turn I can fold, having a 65k stack or push and roll the dice that AC mucks and I have a 100k stack. Clearly I am in a much better shape with this big stack as the blinds are big enough for me to open up a bit and start applying pressure once I am a big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wasn't clear enough earlier that I don't mind the push, really, because I think a lot of Cunningham's range is hands that can't beat Ax and have to fold. But I think this stack-size argument is way off; thinking of 100k as anything more than 100 65ths as good (really, less than that) as a 65k stack seems very wrong here.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, if my read that he will fold is wrong and he calls then I am out of the tournament 88% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

88%? You have a flush draw, right?

[ QUOTE ]
After hours of conservative play I think that my feerlessness has the potential to give me a big stack and big tournament advantage here. This is the right situation for a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I dislike being consistently negative in a thread, and the bizarre irony here is that this hand is actually pretty interesting as tournament hands go, but I'm not really sure what you're looking for here besides confirmation that you made a brilliant play against a big name.

--Nate
Old 10-30-2006, 04:12 PM

Nate,
you are 100% spot on. thats a sweet post.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

MLG --

Good thing this is the Internet, because I'm blushing right now.

--Nate
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Here is my analysis of the hand. AC notices that hero notices AC has been playing tight. AC believes hero is targeting his blind.

Hero miniraises from CO. I would put AC's calling range at any two except 99-QQ, AQ/AK, and two offsuit disconnected cards T or lower.

The flop come ace high. Hero bets. The flop totally missed AC, but AC does not believe hero has an ace. AC calls with the intention of leading out the turn and stealing the pot.

When hero pushes, AC puts him on a draw. There are two flush draws and connected middle cards on the board. Hero could also be protecting a made hand from the draws. AC's calling range is probably any pair or a strong draw. He is definately calling with any ace. Unfortunately AC has nothing. He cannot even beat hero's king high, so he folds.

This hand was played very well by both players on all streets. Hero is excited about bluffing a top pro out of a pot, and develops all sorts of fantasies about how he is a much better player than AC.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 PM

How did the hand really end then? Did Cunningham fold on the turn?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my analysis of the hand. AC notices that hero notices AC has been playing tight. AC believes hero is targeting his blind.

Hero miniraises from CO. I would put AC's calling range at any two except 99-QQ, AQ/AK, and two offsuit disconnected cards T or lower.

The flop come ace high. Hero bets. The flop totally missed AC, but AC does not believe hero has an ace. AC calls with the intention of leading out the turn and stealing the pot.

When hero pushes, AC puts him on a draw. There are two flush draws and connected middle cards on the board. Hero could also be protecting a made hand from the draws. AC's calling range is probably any pair or a strong draw. He is definately calling with any ace. Unfortunately AC has nothing. He cannot even beat hero's king high, so he folds.

This hand was played very well by both players on all streets. Hero is excited about bluffing a top pro out of a pot, and develops all sorts of fantasies about how he is a much better player than AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. gold
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM

In a bubble, Cunningham's play does look a lot like an OOP float which is why I made it so clear in my OP that this is NOT what I was putting him on.

If he was floating the flop with the intention of leading the turn against me then my push becomes an easier play... My question is if my play is still profitable in the long run iff this is not an OOP float and cunning has at least an ace in the spot given that he would lay down a good ace and maybe two pair.

Nate,
yes, I meant I lose when he calls 82.8% of the time obviously not 88%

Why would fake tells not work against Cunningham? Yes, he is an amazing reader of players (debatably the best in the world?) But I have not shown down a bluff all day therefore he can not have any specific reads about the way in which I act when I actually am bluffing.

Given my reads pf and flop play are standard. These are admitably crazy reads but I am still very confident with them and am sure enough to put my tournament life on the line that they are correct. I am posing this question to 2p2 under the assumption that my reads are correct, if they are wrong they make my play more likely to be successful but I am extremely confident that he has at least a pair of aces here.

I am absolutly not looking for confirmation that I made a great play against a great player. If you look into my post history I post mostly hands that I butcher and I appreciate being told how wrong I played my hands.

Since I posted hands from deeper in this tournament it can be assumed that Allen did fold here. In fact, he flopped two pair and mucked it because he had me on a set. (He told me this at the table but then I overheard a conversation that he had with his girlfriend where he was talking about our hand and told her that he had folded two pair because he thought I had flopped a set)

I did NOT think that he had two pair, I thought that he had AJ/AQ but I did think that he was capable of folding two pair here and I am wondering if, given my assumptions that he was fairly strong but capable of folding, my play was still correct.

Lastly, I am not posting this because "I made a strong move on a great player" because I would not have tried this move on a weaker player. I think one of Allen's strengths is that he is capable of laying down big hands when he thinks that he is beat. If I was against a weaker player I would not have thought that they were capable of laying down a big hand and I would not have attempted this move.

Was I right in my assumtions? This time I was but I am curious if in the long run plays like this will end up with me going busto more often than they end up with me having a 100k stack to play with.

As always, thanks for your contributions.

-Steve
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM

if he had two pair then your preflop assumptions are wrong. thats a huge fold by him if thats what he had. and obviously if he will fold that many hands your push is good. i think everybody likes your play here, and the fact that he happened to have two pair, and that he happened to fold, are kind of incidental.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]
word.
betgo's post is good too.

my summary is that i like the turn push but your reasons for doing it are way off. and yes, you've been writing in this thread as though what you're really looking for is 'ZOMG BRILLIANT READ YOU OUTPLAYED A TOP PRO, NICE HAND'