Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you are a VIP what limits do you play?
.50/1 0 0%
1/2 1 0.88%
2/4 6 5.31%
3/6 11 9.73%
5/10 14 12.39%
10/20 8 7.08%
15/30 4 3.54%
20/40 7 6.19%
30/60 7 6.19%
no limit 14 12.39%
I'm not VIP 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Big hand vs. Allen Cunningham

WPT Niagra event.

This hand took place in the first hand of the 800/1600 level (300 ante.) There are 120 people left and the average stack is 80k. Top 45 get paid but there wasn't any real money to be made if you do not final table.

Cunningham has been playing unbelieveably tight and was sitting on 175k in chips after he doubled up on a flopped set 2 hours ago. He has not loosened up since he got the big stack.

Cunningham has never defended his big blind (even when it was minraised preflop) during the 6 hours that I have played with him. I have stolen his blinds twice (both times that it was folded to me in the cutoff) without a fight. As far as I know AC has not floated a bet all tournament. If he calls then he has something with some showdown value. My table image is pretty tight, the only out of line play that I made was a correct call for all of my chips with 2nd pair when the villain open shoved/over bet the turn.

Hero has 75k
AC has 175k

Preflop:

There is 5400 in the pot to start the hand with blinds and antes

Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO

Folded to hero who raises to 4000 (I only raised this little because AC was the BB and would fold to a min raise,) 2 folds, AC calls.

The call meant that AC has a pocket pair, suited ace, big ace, or KQ

Flop (7800) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
AC checks, hero bets 6000, AC calls

I am 98% confident that AC would fold any pocket pair or KQ to my flop bet. AC is NOT floating me here. He has an ace, 2 pair or a set. He is folding a mid pocket pair

Turn (19,800): 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Cunningham leads for 15,000. Hero hesitates for at most 2 seconds and shoves for 50k more.

At the time I put Cunningham's lead as a bet to take the pot down with an AJ/AQ type hand. I think that he was willing to call a turn bet but then would be lost on the river so he led out to see if his hand was good because he did not want me to 3 barrel him with his having no additional information. Of course, his lead could have been 2 pair or a set but the last time that he had a set (he was in position) he played it slowly until the river when he shoved. I think that he could lay down 2 pair - although he might have me on AK - or even a set because I had such a tight image, but because he had so many chips I am not sure how often he would be able to muck 999 since he had chips to play with. I definitely had his range weighted heavily toward AQ-type hands because he is only defending with A8/A9 if they are suited and even then he might still fold pf
Old 10-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Big hand vs. Allen Cunningham

Sorry this hand seems totally absurd to me, when you put him on such a ridiculous tight range facing an open cutoff min steal raise with all these antes in the pot.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:17 PM

CF,
I really dont mind your play. The reason i dont mind it is that your ranges for AC are way out of whack.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry this hand seems totally absurd to me, when you put him on such a ridiculous tight range facing an open cutoff min steal raise with all these antes in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because over the first 6 hours of the day he has redefined the term 'nit.' He has played less than 5% of the hands including those where people min bet against his blinds.

These were my reads at the time; he could have been card dead for 6 hours but I think that my evaluation of his play is accurate. The read could have certaintly been incorrect but if there was one player at the table who I was studying closely the entire day it was Cunningham. He was the big stack at the table all day and I wanted to be careful to get any information that I could on his play since he was in position against me. I watched everything that he did on every hand and this was my read

I think the turn push is OK. I don't mind a fold, as you don't have much at this point, and you don't have to win every pot.

I also think it is a mistake to put a strong player on a tight range here, even if he has played tightly.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 PM

why would you get caught up with a marginal hand against a super tight super strong player who is also a huge stack. at what point do you go away. he has shown strength and you have professed his nittiness. fold the turn. the shove is a poor play imo.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would you get caught up with a marginal hand against a super tight super strong player who is also a huge stack. at what point do you go away. he has shown strength and you have professed his nittiness. fold the turn. the shove is a poor play imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against player X, the push is an OK semibluff. However, given AC is a very strong player playing supertight, I think a fold is better.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure how often he would be able to muck 999

[/ QUOTE ]

... absolutely never?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 PM

This must be how AC gets all the chips he does. He just waits for someone to snap and try to bluff "that super tight nit."

If he has a weak ace I think he'd c/c turn wa/wb. He wouldn't want to swell the pot. If he's donking turn it's probably because he wants to make the pot bigger because he has a real strong hand.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AC is NOT floating me here. He has an ace, 2 pair or a set. He is folding a mid pocket pair

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Cunningham leads for 15,000. Hero hesitates for at most 2 seconds and shoves for 50k more

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? You put him on a big hand so you shove the turn on just a draw. And your logic makes no sense either.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure how often he would be able to muck 999

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL