Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Ever get a feeling?

[ QUOTE ]
ok. I'll take note of it everytime pf now. and I'll come back in a month with the results/

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm excited to see the results.

EDIT: I will predict that your hands win more often than you'd perhaps expect, if you are playing NL, simply because you are more likely to be playing them "to win" rather than playing them correctly. This will lead to losing more with them when you lose and winning more often.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:54 PM

This happens to me too, except I never have the balls to stay in the pot like you. Everytime I want to I think, well I am not getting odds, am out of position, and don't trust my instinct even though I am proven right the majority of the time. I think it's awesome that you trust yourself enough to call with these hands. Congrats!! I hope I can do this one day!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:38 PM

i got this feeling twice last night.

raise pre-flop w/red 9's, flop is J-5-4, two spades. villain checks, i bet, villain moves all in. i think for a minute, determine he is on a flush draw, and then almost fold b/c i just had a feeling it was going to hit. i called, villain turned over 97 spades, and hit the flush on the turn....i lose

later, i limp with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], SB raises, BB calls, i call b/c i just have a feeling my hand is going to do somthing. flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB bets, i go all-in without any hesitation b/c i was confident i was going to hit, BB calls and turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SHIP IT

river 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

for the last 30+ hours live poker, 2 for 2 on gut feelings, not sure how to count the 3rd

for the record, earlier in the night, i called an all-in w/2nd pair knowing the guy was on a flush draw w/out hesitation. i knew he was on a flush draw, and was not worried at all that he would hit. he missed, and i won w/3rd pair.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

on the other hand, i was in a big live tourney late and raised UTG with QQ, a guy behind went all-in having me covered. i thought about mucking b/c i just had a bad feeling about the hand, but then i convinced myself that it would be a dumb fold, and i was really hoping he had JJ or TT. he turned over AJ and beat me with a AA55X board to knock me out of the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!!! What are the odds for this to happen? A random hand like AJ beating one of the HIGHEST PAIRS IN THE ENTIRE GAME!! Like one in a million? Your psychic abilities overwhelm my fragile little mind!

I dunno why I had to be an idiot about this, but I just had to :-)
Old 10-30-2006, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna start off by saying, that I know this sounds ridiculous, and that there's no explanation behind it whatever, but it's something I want to ask about.

Ever just get a feeling about a hand live, preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound ridiculous, it's just most of the forum are bookworm, conventional players, so I can see why you'd begin your post with the damage control. Play your hunches if you can afford it, but don't play every single one, mainly try to play your 'gut' hands in position.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna start off by saying, that I know this sounds ridiculous, and that there's no explanation behind it whatever, but it's something I want to ask about.

Ever just get a feeling about a hand live, preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound ridiculous, it's just most of the forum are bookworm, conventional players, so I can see why you'd begin your post with the damage control. Play your hunches if you can afford it, but don't play every single one, mainly try to play your 'gut' hands in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAH I love the pre-emptive strike with the bookworm comment. OMG I DARE NOT CHALLENGE HIS STATEMENT LEST I BE CONSIDERED BOOKISH!

Edit: Also, dude, you were supposed to throw in something like "You can't prove my hunches aren't real!" at the end for extra effect.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I must point out, that there's never ever been a time when I've gotten that feeling and I havne't won the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If this was true, you would be a rich, rich man by now. I get these instinctive gut feelings sometimes too, and often times they are right, but they are also wrong sometimes.

For example today I was playing $100NL at commerce, I was in late position with $250 in front of me. Someone moved in for $50, a huge stack called (I put him on a weak hand since he didn't raise) another woman called for her remaining $45 or so. I had one of these feelings when I looked down at my 86 clubs, so I called the $50. Flop came 5c7cAs, flopped the open ended str8 flush draw. The big stack moved in on the flop, I called, and my hand never got there and I had to muck my 8 high (He took it down with A10). That time my hunch cost me $250.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are probably a fish

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.. nice...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:16 PM

Time for a parapsychology forum then?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 PM

I find this happens to me too.
But I realized that it happens when I either get a bad run of cards or when I'm on a heater.
When I have a bad run of cards, I sometimes make a loose raise with something like 97s or QTo and then get reraised and I get that feeling, but I realize it's just a form of tilt.
When I'm on a heater, I feel invincible so I make some loose raises with hands I get that feeling.

I also noticed that this happens mostly in NL, rather than limit, and only in Holdem.