Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Ever get a feeling?

I'm gonna start off by saying, that I know this sounds ridicilous, and that there's no explanation behind it whatever, but it's something I want to ask about.

Ever just get a feeling about a hand live, preflop?
I don't mean aces kings or whatever, I mean some random hand like 75, or j4 or q6?

Let me explain, it first happened me at a ft in a live mtt, I was just about average on chips and on the bb, it was a raised multi way pot, I had a hand that on paper wasn't up to scratch to play, but I just got a "feeling " bout the end, as it happened I won the pot worth a third of the chips in play and went on to win the mtt.

A few weeks afterwards I looked down at 75sooooted utg, autofold, but I got that "feeling" again so I played, I hit a house and almost trippled my stack.

This has happened numerous times, weak holdings that I get a feeling to play and I win with them.

I must point out, that there's never ever been a time when I've gotten that feeling and I havne't won the hand.

One night I got it three or four times, each time I ingored it as the hands weren't worth playing, each time I watched the board unfold to make my mucked hand the winning hand.

I looked down at j4o, autofold, but I got the "feeling" again, so I played. I flopped trips and took it down.

I'm not gonna try and defend my position or what I've said, it seems ridicilous and it's an undefendable position. I'm just stating what happened. And I'm wondering has a similiar thing ever happened someone else?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Ever get a feeling?

I've had that feeling and most of the time it doesn't work out.

Try keeping track of when you get that feeling and how often it works out.

And by keeping track, I mean write it down before you see the flop.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:10 PM

you are probably a fish
Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM

lol. No. I discount it alot. It's something that's fairly irrlevent in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had that feeling and most of the time it doesn't work out.

Try keeping track of when you get that feeling and how often it works out.

And by keeping track, I mean write it down before you see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do try, I know how easily people say oh yeah I always crack aces with j10o, it's a monster or some other [censored], cause they forget all the times they didn't and have selective memory.

But honestly, it's never not worked out. But it's the kinda thing I only get once every session or two.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:39 PM

its your inner fish trying to get out! saying to yourself maybe this time 7-3off will flop that full house....

its wrong most of the time (just like the probability says)
Old 10-23-2006, 05:01 PM

It's either fishiness or some innate psychic ability. And there are far more fish than psychics in this world.

Btw, are you smoking a little wacky tabacky while listening to Floyd before you play? That can play all kinds of tricks on your brain. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM

I play at least one hand per session on feeling, sometimes one hand an hour. It is not really any different than playing a draw and folding the flop when it comes to the bottom line when done in moderation. As you have noticed one hand played on feeling can make the difference between losing and winning more than usual.

The downside is, it's a hard climb up when two of those hands were expensive and they do not get there.

I like to play loose and many times I play more than the usual amount of hands though it is not something I would recommend to most players.

It is funny though when my zero to slightly negative expectation hand flops because I know one or two players with a big pair each are going to be crying on the river as they just started counting the chips they are going to win at the flop.

It is a good way to loosen up a table too until they realize you are outplaying them.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Follow your feeling until one of following three outcomes is the case:

1. you're dissuaded of its merit
2. you're the greatest poker player of all time -- "he seems to know what cards are coming!"
3. you post a thread here titled "Please help me stop doing this!!!"

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Well since it happens so rarely I can't see 2 happening, 3 is irrelevent. Meh on 1.