Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Live Game B&M Tells

[ QUOTE ]
My friend and I play long sessions together so we often sit next to each other to alleviate some boredom during the session.

My friend tells me that everytime I'm about to raise I take a deep breath in through my nose. I asked him if i do it everytime; even if i'm bluffing? He says that i do.

I am trying to control it, but i'm not to concerned as long as i'm consistent. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only do it when the action is to you, and you do it whether you're bluffing or not, this is no more a tell than saying "raise". If you do it before your action, opponents can use that to their advantage when deciding to bet, check, or check/raise.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM

The first time I made a huge semi-bluff into two opponents on a $1000+ pot, I tried to say, "raise," but my voice box just stopped working mid-word. After a brief hitch, the word finished it's way out as a dry painful whisper.

I had read about this tell (perhaps in Super/System), but never actually heard it before then.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
action HU, them OOP, they reach down, touch the chips a little, and then smoothly check = check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

They want you to, or you should? I assume you mean that they want you to check behind.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 PM

heavy breathing with larger folk is bad! We'll bad if they didn't walk like a flight of stairs to get to the cardroom. Shrug and bet is a hand you don't want to be in with.

the biggest tell... If a woman over 39 comes to your table, give that lady no action. She will hit and run you so fast you'll think you're tu pac.

to soon?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
action HU, them OOP, they reach down, touch the chips a little, and then smoothly check = check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

They want you to, or you should? I assume you mean that they want you to check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, for me when they do this, it's an autobet every time. It usually means they want you to check behind.

classic strong=weak.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain (luckbox on huge heater, inexperienced, makes many mistakes and can barely read board) bets $60 on river into large $3/$5 NL pot, then proceeds to give me staredown. I call, he's got a missed draw.

Later in session, he does it again in similar situation. I insta-call with middle pair. He shows me the nuts.

Sometimes newbies just stare because it's your action and they want to know if you are calling or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

did he make the same small bet, because maybe that's the tell not the staring.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Probably the most reliable tells I find are watching people's pulse on their neck. Its something that they certainly cant control. This is kind of like people with shaky hands betting. However you need to be careful and make sure you establish a pattern. To some people just betting or being involved in a hand makes them a little bit nervous and creates these symptoms. The other that can't be controlled (well it can but usually isnt) is the heavy breathing when picking up a big hand.