Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the advices on this forum good?
Wow its great 42 17.95%
Some good some pretty bad 152 64.96%
Only a few good, mostly bad. 40 17.09%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Slowplay this AA?

Raise to 1200. You want action with your AA and 4 times the blind is just that.

If you push then CO will more then likely fold since he is limping from a LP. With a stack of 3000 against his 8000 he doesn't feel obligated to call with a marginal hand. You can't expect to win a tournament by taking down blinds and limpers everytime you have a premium hand.

If the SB or BB hold group 1 or 2 hands they are more inclined to push then to call your push. Although you pushed in the previous hands, it doesn't look fishy to raise because your stack is significantly bigger and you have position.

For theoretical observation let's say you raise to 1200 and nobody calls. You still maintain the manic image by stealing their blinds and they can only speculate as to what cards you're holding.

Raise to 1200 and the CO calls. Flop comes Q,10,4 rainbow. He checks, you push, he folds, and the table continues to give you that balls to the walls AI image because you haven't exposed any of your cards, except this time you accumulated more chips out of the situation.

Raise to 1200 and the CO calls. Flop comes Q,10,4. CO pushes. You call. He shows AQ, KQ, or JJ and you take down the pot. Now the table changes their image of you and your raises (not AI raises) have more substance. You doubled up and now have the image you desire for an average stack, no more AI preflop. Same application if SB or BB push preflop.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just push.

I would only consider limping behind with much deeper money and early position, hoping for someone else to raise. Even then, it is an unconventional play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

This ain't a bad spot to open-limp AA on the button. There are very, very few flops that can worry you here, even 3 or 4 way. Shove over any flop action. You'll get more EV in the long run than you would out of a push. Including reasonable call ranges.

But in a vacuum, push 'cause that's your image. If you don't pick up the action, tell yourself it was 72o and be happy with the 25% gain.

Edit: Make that slightly over 30%, mmmm antes.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 AM

yeah i didnt read that he had been openpushing before, itd probably be fishy to do anything different so just shove
Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 AM

if i had more chips i might call. but with your stack and image i think a push is almost mandatory.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i had more chips i might call. but with your stack and image i think a push is almost mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]
You almost never want to limp behind on the button with AA. If you get action in a limped pot, it often means someone can beat one pair.

The only time to limp behind with AA is if a bunch of limpers in likely to cause someone to raise and try to steal the pot. However, that is only playable from early or mid position.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM

This is a push. Expect to get called this time by CO as I think he might be hoping you do push and he is looking to trap you with his AQ or something similar in hand strength.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM

You don't think it's a stretch to think that the CO is trapping the button with a limp?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Depends on the read, but that'd be a hell of a bunch if he woke up and called you with something strong enough to call your shove.

Might be a wider range though. I'd like limpin' sometimes, but that's more fun.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:18 PM

I push this... limping is just asking for trouble and if someone has been pushing but still has a short stack decides to raise 3-4x the bb it is almost always a huge hand.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to 1200. You want action with your AA and 4 times the blind is just that.

If you push then CO will more then likely fold since he is limping from a LP. With a stack of 3000 against his 8000 he doesn't feel obligated to call with a marginal hand. You can't expect to win a tournament by taking down blinds and limpers everytime you have a premium hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What action have you seen from CO lately? Has he done this recently and how did the hand play out? I think anything less than a push looks suspicous given your recent action and is more likely to kill action than induce it - a raise other than a push screams AA or KK to me if I'm one of the villians. However if you've been pushing a lot lately and CO hasn't been open-limping lately then there is a good possibility that he's hoping for you to push. Oblige him.