Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: \"Its better to be bettor than a caller because..\"

[ QUOTE ]
Let's put $100 in a pot, and both pick a number out of a hat from 1-10. The higher number gets the pot, with some conditions.

You pick 6. Great for you, it's above average! Would you bet your number is higher than mine? Don't do anything yet, just hold that thought.

Now I pick my number. I offer a sidebet of $10 that my number is higher than yours, if you don't take it, you lose claim to the $100. You'll probably call, because you don't want to be bluffed out of the $100, but how are you feeling about your 6 now?

[/ QUOTE ]

:-) I was hoping for such an argument.
If for example we play limit , the pot is 100$ and the bet is 50$ betting your 6 is major mistake. If the bet is small, like 10$ its correct to bet, if the bet is 100$ betting is pathetically bad. Its all depends...

[ QUOTE ]
but that's not relevant in a theoretical discussion such as the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize that in that game (number poker) for every bet size there is a number where its correct to check-call rather than bet ?
Do you realize that in pot-limit (when you have to bet the pot) version of that game you are correct to bet about 10% of your good hands ? (with raising and check-raising allowed ). Do you know how small the bet must be to make betting a 6 theoretically correct ?
Even in games when Villain may only call the bet need to be small to make betting a 6 correct ( I cant remember exact size now but its not the point)
Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The reasoning being that if I bet and get called, I will probably lose. If I bet and get raised, I will probably fold. If I bet and they fold, then I probably had the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
As for betting and being called, that is why the pot has to be bigger than the bet. Your opponent should have incentive to call without the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. But the opponent is going to value their hand less from the calling position than the betting position. Because of the absence of fold equity in their decision making, they may rightly (from their perspective) fold to a 10 dollar bet when with the same hand they may rightly (again from their perspective) bet 15 dollars.

My argument again, is because of the pervasiveness of the Bet first mindset among players, the number of situations, particularly when holding moderately strong hands, where you would rather be calling vs. betting is understated.

On an unrelated note, I'm not really sure what pervasiveness means or if it is really even a word.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:12 PM

.....Because giving is less gay than taking.

[/thread]
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"... you can win in 3 ways instead of just one which a call offers".
This argument is quoted in almost every poker book but its ridiculous. Maybe its good to be a bettor and maybe its bad to be a caller but its for sure not for the above quoted reason.
Opinions ?

[/ QUOTE ]
corollary:

"its better to be raiser than the bettor because.."

i believe in this case u has 4ways to win