Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Should I go into great debt for this?

My son is 9. Before I got married we went to half the home games. In the past 2 years we've probably only been to 5.

My daughter is 8 months old so it's obvious she won't be jealous [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The other 2 kids will be with theor father on that night and have shown no interest in the NBA.

It will be the Memphis Grizzlies vs the Orlando Magic. There's no doubt my son would remember it forever. He's met a couple of the players around town and knows about everything about all of them.

Like I said even if I decide to TRY to go for it I will only be trying. I might not be able to get the cash together.

Anyway my wife would be jealous. That's why I'd have to say that a customer gave em to me. I know I should be ashamed.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, one thing to consider is if you do this for your son you've got three other kids you HAVEN'T spent 1k on who will probably be very jealous.

If it's that much to you, he'll still be impressed with seats a bit higher up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM

assuming this is for a team that is at least decent, you should be able to sell these for much more than face value.

Although, with only a $500 face value, I'm guessing this is for a crappy team.

Anyway, sell the tickets. Make some bucks and treat the whole family to a (or a few) fun events. Hell, for soem teams, you can sell a pair of courtside tickets for the cost of 4 season tickets in so-so seats.

BTW, as long as you have cash, you will always be able to get your hands on courtside seats again, so this is only a once in a lifetime thing if you treat it as such.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to assume this is 'nick'

man, I just figured you had one son or something, you have 4 kids? Holy favor a kid much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where you're coming from..... But I've been NicksDad1970 in about a billion message boards etc. My daughters name is Sarah so since she's been born )8 months old) I've made everything "SarahsDad" . So it's evened out. The other 2 kids are step kids and I love them very much. But I don't want their dad (who is very active in their life) to think I'm trying to take his kids as my own.

So in a nice way I'm trying to say you're completely wrong.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Nick's Dad, I've read your posts about your family in here before, and it sounds like there are already problems with money & wife's jealousy. Would a good compromise me to simply bring your son to the game (but not courtside) or would that not mean as much to him, seeing as how you do frequent NBA games (5 in 2 years might not be many, but it's a lot more than most kids go to...)

I don't know if it's worth not only the monetary pain, but also a load of wife troubles (which it sounds like this might cause)... But, then again, it sounds like something you really want to do for your soon.

Here's a rather benign idea: Flip a coin, when it lands and you see what you're doing (either pursuing the tix or not), you will know in your gut if that's the right move (ie: The coin lands on "don't pursue tix" and you feel relief. Or you feel like "Oh man, I wish it was the other way"). I know that this advice has been offered up on these boards many times before, but it's a good one...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 PM

Nick,

He's 9 years old. Get some decent tickets and go to the game.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

man, I just figured you had one son or something, you have 4 kids? Holy favor a kid much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where you're coming from..... But I've been NicksDad1970 in about a billion message boards etc. My daughters name is Sarah so since she's been born )8 months old) I've made everything "SarahsDad" . So it's evened out. The other 2 kids are step kids and I love them very much. But I don't want their dad (who is very active in their life) to think I'm trying to take his kids as my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure the stepkids wont pick up on any of this. nooooooooo.

stepkids live w/ you and you treat your own kids differently, are considering blowing too much money than your family can afford on one kid and lying to your wife about it?

youve got more issues than the NBA going on here.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So in a nice way I'm trying to say you're completely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are completely wrong, you have 1 kid, and a baby, not 4 kids, this makes it different for the most part, but I still think the other kids could become pretty jealous, it's what kids do.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 PM

don't a favor a kid like this. it doesn't matter that the other kids don't care about the game, the care about the disparity between what you sacrifice for each individual kid. that fact that the two noninfant kids not going are step kids makes the notion of spending this kind of money on the tickets more sketchy imo.

also, screw the awesome seats. the kid will be in awe if he is in the nose bleed section. i know i was when i went to games at that age. that said, get some midrange decent seats and buy him some nachos and a t shirt and enjoy the game
Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 PM

I would not get them. If the money is significant, put it to better use. Definitely wait until you can afford it, the hundreds of games you watch on TV together will more than dwarf going to a game courtside.

Edit - what the others say about any tickets is dead on. I have no idea what normal NBA tickets cost, but $100-$200 outting to the game will be every bit as enjoyable as a 1000-1200 one.