Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 5/10 A6s posts. big draw small pot, complete unknown

[ QUOTE ]
nobody likes a pf 3biddybangbang?

[/ QUOTE ]

i like it.

he could be raising light. some people see that extra big bet out there and go apes.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 AM

I would have bet the turn. We have 9 outs to the flush, and 3 more to a straight. Even if villian doesn't fold you may get a free showdown.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 AM

*grunch*

While 5/10 is well out of range for me, I'll take a shot in replying.

Easy flop raise.

I pop the turn again. If I get check-raised, then I'm still getting 4-1 from the pot, with position, when I only need 2.8-1 (counting both of your bets) to continue (flush draw + gutshot). Even if he has 99, then you need only 3.6-1, discounting entirely 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], although you'll probably lose a couple of big bets on the river if he fills up. If he folds, great - you weren't likely to make much on the river anyhow when you did make your hand, and sometimes you may get him to fold a better hand. That is, better as it stands now, since your draw is fairly fat.

The pot is small, but your draw is big, plus you have position and don't have to put in any more money when you don't make your hand. You are getting odds all the way, it appears to me, even against a big PP.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM

bet the turn. you have good equity and better ace highs that will have a hard time calling down are a big part of his range.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I've been having trouble deciding when to take a free card on the turn, and when to keep it going. I guess when my draw is weak and my opponent is a known loose/passive or tricky player, I should tend to take the free card. If my opponent is typical and the pot is shorthanded, I should tend to follow through and take a free showdown.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all for the advice. I've been having trouble deciding when to take a free card on the turn, and when to keep it going. I guess when my draw is weak and my opponent is a known loose/passive or tricky player, I should tend to take the free card. If my opponent is typical and the pot is shorthanded, I should tend to follow through and take a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
given the board, you are getting 3-bet on the flop way more often than getting c/r'ed on the turn by an overpair/set or called down by random hands due to the drawy nature of the board combined with how high the top card is. Thus, we can conclude that a lot of his range consists of big cards that we would like to have fold on the turn.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok i went back and looked, if we bet the turn and he calls, we need to be 1 in 10 to be profitable assuming i'm reading this right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the vast majority of the times we win with a river bet, we would win with a check (ace-high at showdown) anyway.

If we actually are sharing some draws he looks unlikely to also have an ace...

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand plays slightly different with a bet on the turn - but lets say we bet the turn and he just calls - if a non paint falls on the river (as it did) I still think a bet is warranted to fold big Aces. With such passive action on the opponents part, it just seems like that is a likely holding - thus a river bet UI.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM

*grunch*
preflop, I think it's raise or fold and real close at that. I don't like the call, there are very few flops that are friendly for you once you let the blinds in...

...and then of course you get a real friendly flop LOL...

I hate the flop raise. Why are you protecting your hand here? Although your hand is very robust, there is a wide range of hands you're behind to, you're very likely not buying any Ace outs with the raise, the pot is small, and you're only going to fold out hands that you want in should you make your flush or gutshot. There is basically no fold equity on the flop either.

Once you have it heads up on the turn having raised the flop and only having villain call you, you have to contemplate fold equity and fire again. You picked up 4 more clean outs with that card, you're not afraid of a check-raise.

As played, the river fold is fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 PM

naMruM: After villian has raised preflop, there are 4.4sb in the pot. With a suited A, I don't think a fold is good. I think I'd rather have the blinds' money in here than get heads up with a bad A.

Point taken about the FE on the flop. The flop raise MAY knock out some aces, some gutshots (perhaps livening up my 6 as well). With 12 outs, my raise is partially for value and partially for cleaning up outs; however, the real benefit from the raise is that it could also buy me the opportunity to take down the pot on the turn, or to take a free card.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:03 PM

bet the [censored] turn.

Your turn and flop play are not consistent.

You raise the flop and got it heads up. Bet the turn and try to get K high or a better Ace to fold.

If you aren't going to bet the turn, just call the flop, and let ppl in.