Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 AM

Default 5/10 A6s posts. big draw small pot, complete unknown

Villian is a complete unknown, and this is my first hand at the table.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Re: 5/10 A6s posts. big draw small pot, complete unknown

I think I like the flop raise. You have great draws. Betting can narrow the field down, can sometimes get you a free look at the river, and can sometimes win it there....

Given that you did raise the flop and managed to get it heads-up with the preflop raiser, I think betting the turn might have been a good idea. You can make him fold unpaired high-cards, etc. If you check the turn and then miss the river, he could put you on a busted draw and take it away from you with a worse hand (KQ etc)...I think you do have some slight showdown value with your ace-high too. Betting the turn, then checking the river UI might be a way to go...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

A follow through bet here (and the river if needs be) will often get better Aces to fold, and you have the luxury of club outs.

Bet - and yes bet the river UI. You won't need to win everyone of those showdowns to be profitable.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet - and yes bet the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time the villain has called the flop raise and turn bet, I don't think we're likely to get a worse hand to call, nor a better hand to fold. I think we should check for the free showdown UI if the river gets checked to us...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 AM

I don't know about the river bet UI, but I'm certainly betting the turn.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet - and yes bet the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time the villain has called the flop raise and turn bet, I don't think we're likely to get a worse hand to call, nor a better hand to fold. I think we should check for the free showdown UI if the river gets checked to us...

[/ QUOTE ]

That board doesn't really favor an early position PF raiser who may be raising with a wide range of hands with "dead" poster money on the table.

His flop continuation bet is "standard" and hero did well to raise, and PF raiser was fine to call.

PF raiser may be sharing some draws or has other draws and would call a turn bet, with draws and overcards

I'm not saying its an easy bet to be made, but I disagree with your statement that we won't get better hands to fold.

I don't have the hand in front of me as I type, but if i recollect we only need to win 1 in 7? to be +EV? I'll have to go back and look.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Ok i went back and looked, if we bet the turn and he calls, we need to be 1 in 10 to be profitable assuming i'm reading this right.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok i went back and looked, if we bet the turn and he calls, we need to be 1 in 10 to be profitable assuming i'm reading this right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the vast majority of the times we win with a river bet, we would win with a check (ace-high at showdown) anyway.

If we actually are sharing some draws he looks unlikely to also have an ace...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 AM

I'd play it the same against unknown.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 AM

nobody likes a pf 3biddybangbang?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:25 AM

I would bet the turn definetly...he looks ready to fold unimproved high cards and depending on what fell on the turn and river, I might bet the river too.

Sometimes, you'll get check-raised on the turn and that sucks, but I think you'll make up for the times you have to pay those extra bets with the times you hit your flush or straight combined with the many times you probably take down this pot w/o a showdown.