Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 99, lets work thru it slowly?

I would raise preflop with the desire to get the button, fold at least the sb and hopefully 1 of the 2 posters.

I would also raise the flop although I would guess that if you raise pf you wouldn't get the opportunity to raise. You almost definitely have the best hand and many, although tainted, outs if you dont.

This might also let you get to showdown easier if a diamond, or overcard hits.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM

What do you do if you raise, get two or three callers and then an overcard, say a king comes on the turn and it gets checked to you? Do you take the free card, or bet and try for a free showdown?

Asking because I've found myself in this situation a few times.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:41 PM

I don't know why people are advocating a call. If we had TT it wouldn't even be close, and with 4-5 players in with us, there is no way a raise here isn't for value with 99.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM

A raise preflop makes the hand easier to play IMO. Win the button and if too many people come with you, take the free card if an overcard or two comes. If you can get it three handed, you can play your nines aggressively.

I don't see any point in calling preflop here. You have the best hand and the best position. Raise.

Anyway given that you didn't raise preflop, raise the flop. Once again you have the best position and likely the best hand, but that hand is vulnerable.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:10 PM

So far I would raise every opportunity I had.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if you raise, get two or three callers and then an overcard, say a king comes on the turn and it gets checked to you? Do you take the free card, or bet and try for a free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do either of these. Unless the board gets really scary (or I get played back at), I'm betting the flop turn and river
Old 01-31-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely can't take a free card because it is much more likely that the free card will be more valuable to your opponents than you. If you take the free card then you have a tough river decision if its bet to you and you don't improve. You don't have many outs to a better hand and there are plenty of people who you will have beaten but they have 6, 8, or more outs so you would have to bet the turn. If someone were to donk the turn and it was a K then you would have a more defficult decision.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So far I would raise every opportunity I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. SSHE stresses being aggressive and this is a great opportunity. Preflop you can get the button and maybe fold a poster and his dead money.

Once you've limped you have to raise the flop as you are almost certainly ahead right now. Then bet any non-A non- [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] turn for sure. If an A comes or a diamond you obviously have to re-evaluate but this definitely isn't a bad flop for 99. You have a lot of good cards on the turn including a T which gives you an OESD and or a J giving you a double belly-buster.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: the flop

I haven't read past the turn yet.

I like not raising pf. I don't think raising to buy the button is very important because putting in an extra bet to force one player out of at least 4 handed/maybe 6 handed pot won't really make a difference if overs come.

I think it is likely that you have the best hand but I think calling might be okay. Raising can force the blinds out, but you're still needing to dodge a lot of cards on the turn. Your two outs to set are only good in that they open up a 10 out redraw to fill up.

I would pray for a good turn and try to see it cheaply.

Edit: I push this hand much harder if it is HU or maybe three handed, but here I don't see a need to build this pot PF when lots of flops kill this hand.

The turn is close. A raise offers the field 5.5-1. The callers and bettor aren't going anywhere, so the whole hand rests on whether it is worth investing an extra sb to knock out the two blinds. Also, we can be way behind and stand to get reraised on occasion.

I am leaning towards a call because I think our hand is so dependent upon a good turn that knocking the blinds out might not achieve much. Also, on a flop like this I feel like a blind c/r a bunch, so I don't know that we are even knocking them out if we face them with two cold.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 PM

i would raise preflop. you could fold out as many as 4 potential callers by doing this. you would have initiative throughout the hand which maximizes fold equity. plus you probably have the best hand. i would also raise the flop because i have an overpair that needs to be protected, and i have at least four outs to accompany my semibluff. we have to do what we can now to limit the field IMO as many cards will hurt us on the turn. my turn action would depend on the cards that came and the action in front of me.