Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Outsourcing call centers to India

probably just rumor, but I thought dell was pulling out of india for support due to customer dissatisfaction. I also thought that if you have a premier account with dell your call will not be routed to india. Makes sense if you are paying for a premium support contract, you don't want to deal with language barrier.

there are a lot of "third party"-companies who will set up a large callcenter facility (whether that be in one or multiple locations). They will then divide/configure/subsidize resources for other (mostly small-ish) companies who can't afford the equipment or only need a short-term lease -- a couple of telemarketing campaigns etc. Also, teleworking is becoming a huge part of it as well. There is a call center company that is actually implementing a scalable "configuration" of an Asterisk-based call center server which will basically be a fully VoIP-based call center. Anyone with a broadband connection can have a call center job right out of their home. This will def allow companies to pay less for the call center labor.

as for the money side of things...call center employees' wages are likely a direct correlation of the local economy + skill required for their position. A couple of our customers have moved their call center sites to other cities because of the cost of labor in their current locations. In your case, internet connection... think about all the 40+ yr olds out there who don't know a NIC from a modem from a mouse from a StartButton. How much should someone who can troubleshoot an internet connection problem be paid as opposed to someone who can troubleshoot a callcenter (where you have purchase a million-dollar call center ...you are already paying someone 50k/yr to manage your callcenter on-site...setting up the agents/create the call control tables/etc...and paying $250k+/yr in a 24hr support/maintenance contract).

Think about why lexus mechanics get paid 6 figures and why express oil mechanics make less than half that.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 PM

Dude ENGLISH IS THE FIRST LANGUAGE IN INDIA!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 PM

The language side of it is a minor problem, but the cultural side absolutely isn't. It can tough for an Indian to handle simple things like i.e. a British customer wanting to order a hotel room, if that customer has some complex requests and expects the support person to understand the context and the Indian support person doesn't have a clue other than a list of available rooms. To those British I have spoken to about it, underestimating this is a big potential pitfall.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An executive from Dell basically said they'd rather "pay some poor foreign man 50 cents an hour to feed his family for the week rather than some 18 yo American intern $20/hr to waste on Budweiser."

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt an executive at dell "basically" said that.

[/ QUOTE ]

More recently, a Dell support tech in Mumbai, India

[/ QUOTE ]
That's nice that you tried to back up your quote, but a support tech from India isn't exactly an "executive."
Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, lets not forget how many times you call Dell (India), and the call is lost before you're connected and you need to wait all over again. It's not very sophisticated. And sure some Indians are very intelligent but when the language differences are so vast and they're like reading out of the book to you it can become extremely irritating. If an Indian is fluent in English (should be required), I've got no problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've called Dell tech support a number of times and this has not happened once. In fact, they have always been very helpful and willing and able to solve my problem in a short time frame. Do you have any arguments that aren't complete fabrications?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, lets not forget how many times you call Dell (India), and the call is lost before you're connected and you need to wait all over again. It's not very sophisticated. And sure some Indians are very intelligent but when the language differences are so vast and they're like reading out of the book to you it can become extremely irritating. If an Indian is fluent in English (should be required), I've got no problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've called Dell tech support a number of times and this has not happened once. In fact, they have always been very helpful and willing and able to solve my problem in a short time frame. Do you have any arguments that aren't complete fabrications?

[/ QUOTE ]

So because your experience differs from the experience of the person you are replying to, you call him a liar?

Do you really not understand that other people do not always have the same experiences that you do?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:19 PM

I have heard that many Indians are now losing their jobs because they are being outsourced to China, and the tech help boom in India may be coming to an end because China is cheaper. I am not joking.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that many Indians are now losing their jobs because they are being outsourced to China, and the tech help boom in India may be coming to an end because China is cheaper. I am not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then the salaries in China increase and India becomes attractive again, or they drop in India, it is economics the pendulum does not end up at one extreme.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Their Service Sucks...

I switch to Vonage for my phone and I had to call customer service to get it to work. The first Indian guy was worthless and did not completely understand what I was saying. The second guy was good and my problem was solved.

BTW. Vonage is great. If you have a high speed internet and your not using Vonage for your phone......then your throwing money away.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So because your experience differs from the experience of the person you are replying to, you call him a liar?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.