Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Ladies of OOT, answer me this, please.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Girls use success, power, money AND looks as their filters.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talk to younger girls and they tell me they like guys with tatoos, piercings, guys who snowboard, guys with long hair, etc. They get to be 30 and they just want a guy with a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys with long hair cant get jobs these days?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Girls use success, power, money AND looks as their filters.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talk to younger girls and they tell me they like guys with tatoos, piercings, guys who snowboard, guys with long hair, etc. They get to be 30 and they just want a guy with a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys with long hair cant get jobs these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

The world always needs record store clerks.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, the "bad boy" phase. I would love to understand this phase, which seems almost a universal phenomena for young women. You see, I was a good boy. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 PM

A nice car is a good way to attract a woman into nice cars. Same with everything else. Realizing this will make dating a lot easier.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of the visual filter that us men use, I'm guessing girls use success, power, and money as filters.

And that sums up why I [censored] hate girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with this. As a girl, I use looks & personality as filters - probably just the same as you. Looks because I have to be attracted to the guy I'm with (and I use "looks" as that all-encompassing package, including the ever-elusive pheromone, that makes certain guys attractive and not others). Personality, obviously, because I have to want to spend time with them and enjoy time.

I only care about money, status & power to the extent of: Do they have a job? Are they responsible with money (not to say they have a lot, but at least know what to do with it)? Are they passionate about something? (Does not necessarily have to be their source of income, but something).

As far as the car thing goes, I could really care less about a guy's car - as long as it gets him from Point A to Point B. Even more so, I live in Chicago & don't own a car myself (take public transport everywhere), so it doesn't even matter if they even have a car.

I think that any girl that responds on a 2+2 forum is going to be very different than most girls in your lives and in question here. But, I'm still more than happy to put my 2cents in.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You disagree that a lot of women use success, power and money as filters? Or, you just don't think that you do.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 PM

Anything but a filthy beater is good to go.
I think guys worry more about what other guys think of their cars than they worry about what chicks think of them.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You disagree that a lot of women use success, power and money as filters? Or, you just don't think that you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the statement that I was disagreeing with didn't use the qualifier "a lot" - just more of a general "Girls use these factors..." So, I was really disagreeing just for myself as an example of a girl who doesn't use those factors. But, that's the problem with generalizations - of course there are exceptions. In my peer group, I would venture to guess that I'm more the norm (using looks/personality) than the exception (using money/success/power) - but I'm sure that there are "a lot" of girls who use all of the above.

I also think that subconsciously we all (men & woman) associate certain things (like success, money, power, what have you) with attractiveness. So, maybe I am more attracted to men with money and I don't know it - but taking a look at my history, I would guess that that isn't the case. Whether it is or isn't for "a lot" of woman is really tough to say, especially as I'm not in their heads and can only view them from what I see/they tell me.

Also, success/power is definitely not mutually exclusive with personality - the two can go hand in hand.

Overall, given that the OP said that he thinks most guys overestimate the value of their car, I agree with this.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 PM

Here is a serious response to all of the "gold digger" replies. I am a guy, but anyway here are my thoughts FWIW:

For women IN GENERAL (I'm not talking about women who are really interested in cars, b/c most women are not), a car is just a visual status symbol. It so happens that this status symbol also communicates style, e.g. someone who drives an S500 is going to give off a different feel than someone who drives an Escalade. So, I think it's very similar to watches: the price serves as a status symbol, and the style (Patek Phillipe vs Breitling) may indicate the personality.

You don't have to be a "gold digger" to allow these cues to influence you - you just have to be HUMAN. Obviously, if you are talking about, "I think this guy is ugly but he drives a nice car so I guess I'll [censored] him," then that would be gold digging. But I believe this represents a very small minority in the reactions for women IN GENERAL. In most cases, women will interpret these social cues in the same way that we men interpret them.

Anyway, just my thoughts. But again, I'm male, so who knows maybe I am totally off here.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM

The type of girls who form an opinion of a man based on what he drives can easily be equated with the type of man who (a)unnecessarily posts topless pictures of himself flexing his muscles, (b) takes his "sensei" and martial arts in general waaaaay too seriously, and/or (c) whose latest social drama revolves around tidbits from his community-service-driven, hip-hop dance team's weekend parties.

Seriously, there are superficial/retarded/shallow men and women, try to stay away from them and find someone who's real. Isn't this obvious?

PS. I'm not saying some women don't do this, clearly they do. However, a rationale like: "women are so superficial! she didn't like me/I can't get laid/my life is horrible because she likes so-and-so dude's car better! gosh!" indicates that a man might be looking for an excuse or a reason not to feel shity about whatever about him really DOES suck.