Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: How smart does one need to be...

Freshman calc I'll grant you, but a PhD in Statistics?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freshman calc I'll grant you, but a PhD in Statistics?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its too long and expensive for a prop bet. It also depends massively on the nature of the PHd and type of stats being done. If it requires original work in theoretical statistics then thats only for the very clever. Otherwise its more a matter of effort and guidence but I've never seen the examination structures so I can't be sure.

I know lots of people with MSc's in applied stats (used to work with them whilst they were doing the MSc part time). Huge volume of work but nothing that required being particularly clever or any great shakes at maths. I'd take a suitable prop bet on getting someone through that.

chez
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...to get a masters degree or PhD in Statistics? How many people out of 100 simply don't have a high enough IQ to get a masters degree? How about a PhD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends a lot on the University. Assuming the only limiting factor is IQ (i.e. the student is super motivated, has enough time to study as much as he/she wants) I'd guess you need to be in the top 20% of the general adult population.

To answer a latter question in the thread. I don't think it is possible for someone with an IQ of 105 to get a PhD in statistics.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Masters - 5%
PhD - 25%
Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM

OP asked about advanced degree, and not just a PH.D. If the discussion, is about what % can get a PHD, then the number is much lower.

At my school , there was only one American student in the past Ten years that was able to pass the PH.D qualifying exam. Many smart people that tried VERY hard were not able to. Now, this is an extreme case, because the guy who made the exam was a ball buster, but that's how it was. I scored in the 95% on GRE and SAT exams. I win at low stakes poker. I am no genius, but in comparison to 100 people, I would say I'm going to be smarter than 94 or 95 of them.

I was BARELY able to pass our mathematical statistics course. There is little chance that I would have been able to pass our PH.D qualifying exam.

I'd also like to say that I have NO IDEA how rigorous other schools are. Some schools may have soft programs for doing data analysis that is useful in industry. But, if the students are required to do some theoretical work, the percentage of people that can do this is much lower.

I don't think discussing what % have an innate ability to do it is really worth discussing. We know that 8% of people win at poker. Why would it be worth discussing what % can? It doesn't matter. Using excuses like "So and So tilts, but if he didn't do that.. " or whatever the retarded excuses are is pointless.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 AM

Depends on the university and whether the student had access to great tutors on the side.

Even if their life depended on it, much less than 10% of the population could get a Phd in Statistics from Stanford if they had no tutors.

If I studied the subject and took someone under my wing, I could eventually get about 40% of the population a Phd from North Carolina State.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I studied the subject and took someone under my wing, I could eventually get about 40% of the population a Phd from North Carolina State.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I hope you're just making a dig at Borodog.

Here's a list of their grad students. NCSU