Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: TILT

I would have someone sweat me. When I am being sweated, I feel the need to play my A game and not try to embaress myself. Plus, the sweater can tell you to stop/give encouragement/advice, etc.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont really know what "shark" means, but there are plenty of good players at 200nl, enough to make it at best marginally profitable if you don't exercise some modicum of table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

he Mlagoo

You're right about table selection. I have to say I dont really pay that much attention, my selection starts and stops by checkin hand/hour and avg potsize. (trying to look for loose tables: as little H/H as pos, as much avg$$ as pos)

Maybe i should be checkin my stats to look who I'm beating and who I'm losing to.

=> how do you select your tables, what are your main criteria?

thx for your advice man,

<---IWS
Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have someone sweat me. When I am being sweated, I feel the need to play my A game and not try to embaress myself. Plus, the sweater can tell you to stop/give encouragement/advice, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never do this, just because I dont playing for anyone but myself, not really goot for my game.

I agree with you in trying not to embarass yourself (but this is more for myself personally), however, sometimes you need to look like a fool if you want to try something a little bit risky you know. If you never get caught bluffin, you're not bluffin enough....

<---IWS
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM

This is how I handle tilting:

I usually play full ring, but if the deck is running cold and I'm not catching eny flops for a while or if I loose a few buy-ins, I get frustrated. Not necessarily much, but enough for it to affect my play and I know I might make a costly bad decision soon. Then it's time to change for 6-max where I can get into more marginal situations with a clean conscience.

The different environment of short tables also increase my ability to focus, beacause it is not my usual playground. All of this helps me not to let emotions take over my play.

If NL holdem generally seems to be hitting me in the face, I open up a PL Omaha table and try to focus on learning and evolving myself in a game where I really suck bad. It doesn't even hurt to lose a little when you know you are just paying for some lessons.

Playing Omaha btw. gives some new perspective to holdem so that money doesn't go to waste even if you lose some.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP, pls change your avatar. its wierding me out

[/ QUOTE ]

Or don't. So long as you don't ever want anybody to look at a thread you start ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

listen dude, as long as the avatargestapo isnt arresting and / or torturing me...Im not changing a G_Oddam.n thing allright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok, but I'm not opening any more of your threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

kthxbye

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest others follow suit, a simple right click on Ms. Bug-eye in firefox will do the trick
Old 10-05-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP, pls change your avatar. its wierding me out

[/ QUOTE ]

Or don't. So long as you don't ever want anybody to look at a thread you start ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

listen dude, as long as the avatargestapo isnt arresting and / or torturing me...Im not changing a G_Oddam.n thing allright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ok, but I'm not opening any more of your threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

kthxbye

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest others follow suit, a simple right click on Ms. Bug-eye in firefox will do the trick

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i didnt know about this feature. thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM

As some others have said, take a break. Not a long one. If I drop 2 or 3 buy-ins due to some bad luck, I sit out when the blinds come my way and do something that's not poker. Clear the brain. Online vs live play does have some advantages, and just like we learn to play position, you should use it. The ease with which we can get up, grab a soda, flip on the tv for five minutes and come back to the same table with the same donks is an advantage.

I think the only difference with my advice from many of the others' is that I say don't think about poker for that short break.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM

I sometimes start talking to myself like I'd be teaching someone to play poker. I even get embarrased if I do something stupid. But I guess you have to have a few too many screws loose in your head to do something like that, lol.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM

ALSO-

Don't call raises OOP just because "they're s0000000000ted!!!" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 PM

If you like you could PM me when you get down $800, and I will sit at your tables and let you know what I think you are doing wrong..