Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: What\'s next and how can we make a difference?

There are current two conflicting preceedents on the applicability of the 1961 Wire Act. In other areas the court has not allow the transfer of legislative intent from phone lines and telegraph wires to the internet. I will mention that the legal position of sports betting on the internet is much more precarious, and from a lobbying and legal point of view we would be more successful on separating the issues. There is only one New York case which held the Wire Act applied to a internet gambling firm that was essentially operating out of New York offices, but just had the server overseas. A higher judge has said it does not apply, but Justice is appealing. This law is in part based on the idea the the Wire Act makes internet poker illegal, (keep in mind that it may indeed make internet sports betting illegal), and if that case is lost, the underlying authority may be questionable. The banks and financial institutions would have the best case because they have this burden without committing any criminal violation under the law. Also internet providers, since they have a legal require to essential censore themselves. Hopefully since Google wimped out in China they'll try to win back some creds with the anti-govt internet folks. We should all write them.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I intend to change my voter regsitration party for the sole purpose of voting twice against the local incumbents who participated in this travesty

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, aside from being slimy, voter fraud will do a lot more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure he meant that there were two incumbents that he wants to vote against, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Full repeal of the language that was inserted (Highly unlikely in the short term)

- Work to prevent additional changes to the Wire Act

[/ QUOTE ]

What did I miss. Someone have a link to when/how the Wire Act was modified? I thought the Port bill expressly didn't modify the Wire Act...
Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM

It didn't - Poorly worded
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM

Have written previously, problematic not to get crtical mass before bill. Really hard to get undone. Reps will never do it, this was red meat for Dobson and Christian right. But we haven't really created a push for it on the other side. Don't get me wrong, much better that zero! Wrote to PPA, not sure what plan is, who they're targeting and whatnot. Obviously, the carve-out will tax poker, and we'll have to come up with some serious money before election. As a political operative, I can tell you money before campaign, - valuable friend you remember, - money after a campaign, - deperate lobbyist making last stand.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It didn't - Poorly worded

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, sweet. That's HUUUUGE, IMO.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM

Berge, it'd help to let people know where to register to vote, and by when in order to vote in these November elections. Might as well make it as easy as possible in order to get as many 2+2'ers out there as we can.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Register to Vote here,

https://ssl.capwiz.com/congressorg/e4/nvra/

You'll need to fill out the form and mail it in.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The US is pretty much always going to ignore the WTO when it feels like it. It's unfortunate perhaps but there it is.

[/ QUOTE ] This is widely perceived but not entirely true. The US if often slow to comply but typically does so as was the case with the steel tariffing. The WTO situation is far more advanced down the road than people seem to realize. Antigua & Barbuda have already won their case in front of the WTO and filed last week against the US for complaince. Its a 90 day window so there should be some decision by the end of 2006.

As to getting money on sites every commentary we have seen indicates that this law was passed with the Treasury assuring the banking industry that they wouldn't have to police checks. At worst, that's the solution to funding accounts. At best things go forward as is with Neteller or a similar service based out of a reputable foreign bank.

I think the formation of a well organized PAC is a long term necessity however unseemly as some of us may think it to be.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM

We need a leader! Someone who is a dynamic personality. Someone that we can all unite behind. The PPA is a good idea, but we need a person that is well known and well spoken enough to go on Larry King and Oreilly and the others. Someone who can inspire the fish to speak out.

IMO, we need Daniel Negreanu to step up and unite us in our fight. If someone like him would speak out, the average person would listen.