Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Default What\'s next and how can we make a difference?

I know many of you have been asking what can “we” (as the online poker community) do to reverse or mitigate this harmful legislation. Let me start by saying (Because it can get confusing) that I do not speak for 2+2, PPA or any organization---at least at this point.

In the short term (between now and the end of this Congress), my answer is that I do not believe that we can be successful at getting anything done legislatively before January. However, that does not mean we should just roll over and do nothing.

It is hard for me to direct individuals on a course of action, because at the moment I am not sure where I can direct you for effective efforts. A lot of what we need to do is continue to establish and build a successful grassroots political effort. That will take time and energy---and certainly cannot be done overnight.

The long and short of it is we need to have an effective and visible organization that can fully represent our interests and work to overturn or minimize the damage this legislation has caused. If that is a current one that is able to step up or a new one, I am not certain.

My thoughts are that we need to proceed on a few different fronts.

<u>Regulatory</u>
- Work with the banking industry to help minimize the negative impact and restrictive nature of the regulations that will have to be developed

<u>Legislative</u>
- Work to get poker successfully carved out, exempted, etc. on the federal level similar to what horseracing and lotteries

- Work with the B&amp;M industry to help establish the regulation and taxation of the online industry in the United States

- Full repeal of the language that was inserted (Highly unlikely in the short term)

- Work to prevent changes to the Wire Act

- Include in any package we put forth positive issues such as additional strengthening of age verification requirements, gambling addiction assistance, etc.

- State level efforts to help clarify or legalize poker as a game of skill

<u>Political</u>
- Establish a Political Action Committee to collect legal donations from US players and effectively use those funds to help establish a financial presence in Washington

- Use either the PAC or other organizations to enhance political awareness of US players via regular updates on issues important to them

- Individuals should immediately register to vote and make themselves aware of issues important to themselves. Then vote accordingly.

<u>Media</u>
- As we have seen, stories that are negative toward us are much easier to sell to the media. I believe that is simply because people can easily see the harmful impacts of online gambling with no clear counterbalance from our side.

- It is important to try and ensure that our message can get out. What is that message? That can certainly be debated and discussed, but it seems to me that the infringement of individual freedom and rights is the most effective.

I realize everyone wants this tide to be turned and in my view, now is the most effective time to get organized for our future battles. People are angry, alerted and ready to get involved.

We obviously don't know the full impact of the law as it relates to how the industry will change. Regardless, recent developments are not good for either the players or the industry.

I know we are looking for people or organizations to blame for the shortcomings or failure to stop this. While I do believe that scrutiny is warranted and improvements can be made, additional piling on is probably not helpful. Constructive suggestions are important and we have many people on these boards who have real life experience in Washington that know how to most effectively pursue goals such as those listed.

Many people here have volunteered a lot of time helping to get us through what has happened and are willing to continue to work on solving this problem. I appreciate the opportunity the forum has brought and hope that it can be used for constructive efforts moving forward.

Anyone wishing to help and discuss ideas, please feel free to PM me or post here. We have a great crew and a lot of energy around these boards. Bottom line is we need to find a way to tap it and make it productive and effective.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: What\'s next and how can we make a difference?

Hire good legal council and take it to Court. Perhaps the online sites would be willing to back the effort. Just a thought. Even though I'm no lawyer I'm fairly certain that this law can be successfully challenged. Even a delay in the action with some favorable publicity would be helpful. Any thoughts welcome.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:05 PM

Excellent point - The other angle is to attack this law through the courts.

This certainly includes the United States justice system and quite possibly via the World Trade Organization.

From an individual posters perspective, I think these options are probably off the table given the extreme cost associated with challenging laws. That said, I would anticipate that someone eventually would give it a go.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM

I intend to change my voter regsitration party for the sole purpose of voting twice against the local incumbents who participated in this travesty. A couple hours ago, I asked Poker Players Alliance to encourage and publicize this method of protest. Of course, I have not yet heard back from them. Please join me in firing the elected representatives who have refused to represent the voters.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Individuals should immediately register to vote and make themselves aware of issues important to themselves. Then vote accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this issue is of the most immediate importance. Those who seek to ban online gambling will probably try to expand the wire act and pursue other angles that will make it more difficult to gamble online. Additionally, I think we should set up some sort of resource that will let people know where candidates stand on the issue of online gambling legislation. We have a good idea of how incumbant House members will vote, but with everyone else we are in a gray area. Also, making campaign contributions to key allies of online gambling, and conversely, contributions to the opponents of key enemies of online gambling is a related priority.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM

Great post Berge!

At this point, I have given Ed Markey and Shelley Berkeley phone calls and plan to send a letter and campaign contribution to each.

Both of them asked for my name and address which was never done when I called against a Congressman's idea. Any idea why?

Other than that I am ready to fight hard, just need to know where to focus my efforts.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I intend to change my voter regsitration party for the sole purpose of voting twice against the local incumbents who participated in this travesty

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, aside from being slimy, voter fraud will do a lot more harm than good.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:13 PM

Berge, well done.

I have sharpened my pitchfork, prepared my torch and assembled my friends. We await your further instructions.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 PM

The US is pretty much always going to ignore the WTO when it feels like it. It's unfortunate perhaps but there it is.

From what I understand the regulations are going to have to go through a period of public commentary. I don't know what the process is but everyone should try to comment that they use Neteller, Firepay et cetera for things other than gambling and that these payment methods shouldn't be blocked.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM

I know Party advertised the PPA on their site. Do you think in there final email to US players they will still encourage them to join the PPA? Not sure what good it would do but maybe the majority of players will start to take notice of this issue. Just from my chatting with player on Party most have no clue what has happened.

What about supporting the ND legislation to allow online poker? Is there a way to do this if you live outside the state? Also, supporting the Nev. Congressman which started a bill in the House to study online gaming, is there a way to help this cause?

Unless the US is getting some tax dollars, I think the carve out will be hard to justify to congress.