Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: What shapes a politican into a political whore like Frist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FU Frist!
FU republicans and democrats who pushed this bill!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Ambition.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Rational self-interest. The system (the incentive structure, more specifically) is why we see political whores.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 AM

Enormous piles of cash from the US gaming industry.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM

I’m guessing its the belief that he knows what’s best for people and that’s why he was elected. Living in DC you meet a lot of politicians that think their job isn’t telling DC how their citizens want to live, but its to stay in office because they are the best thing for their citizens.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:43 PM

No, it was effective lobbying by the US gaming industry. You're telling me that the same people who give tax money to the tabacco industry have some kind of normal code of civic responsibility. That's rediculous. It was an enormous pile of cash from the gaming lobby. The offshore sites are not paying taxes or playing ball, so the bosses are going to take their cut and send the little whanabes packing. It's just economics. Nothing sinister, just a huge pile of cash.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's incapable of caring about middle class people. You have to realize that he is from an extremely wealthy and privileged background, as his family money comes from HCA, one of the first hospital chains.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must realize this is plain ridiculous. You are saying that anyone who is wealthy CANNOT care for 'middle-class' people? You can make judgements about his foolish ideas or reprehensible actions, but to attribute evil (and I'd say being incapable of caring qualifies as evil) based on a person's wealth status is the worst kind of suppression. While Frist's ideas are bad and dangerous, yours are more so.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 PM

I'm guessing you are very young and have very little experience moving across class lines. I'm older and have a lot of such experience. Indeed, as a card counter, part of my job was posing as a much wealthier person and appearing to belong to a class of people who would never accept me if I were unable to put on a halfway decent act of being like them. Get some real world seasoning, and when you come back, you'll tell me I was right. Because, sorry, I am.

It is a fact of human nature, known from thousands of years of human experience and more recently decades of scientific study, that we care most for people who are most like ourselves. We are primates. We are tribal. To deny this fact is as useful and as intelligent as denying the law of gravity. Sexism, racism, classism, ageism all exist -- because we care most about and give preference to the people most like ourselves.

Sure, a wealthy person can care for a middle class person. I can care for my dog. But I don't respect him as my equal, and I never will. I can't. Being a woman, I have a little more experience in the reality of this than you do. Most men my age and older, no matter how "nice" they are, no matter how much they think they know best and are trying to help me, are incapable of identifying with me and seeing me as a full-blooded human being. They just can't. In fact, the whole idea that they know what is best for me is the proof that they don't respect me and don't believe I can think for myself. Do you see why?

Bill Frist thinks you are a fool and that he knows better. He does not consider you an equal. The sooner you accept reality, the better. It is not to your advantage to kid yourself about what other people think of you. Not in poker. Not in life.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's incapable of caring about middle class people. You have to realize that he is from an extremely wealthy and privileged background, as his family money comes from HCA, one of the first hospital chains.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must realize this is plain ridiculous. You are saying that anyone who is wealthy CANNOT care for 'middle-class' people? You can make judgements about his foolish ideas or reprehensible actions, but to attribute evil (and I'd say being incapable of caring qualifies as evil) based on a person's wealth status is the worst kind of suppression. While Frist's ideas are bad and dangerous, yours are more so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing you are very young and have very little experience moving across class lines. I'm older and have a lot of such experience. Indeed, as a card counter, part of my job was posing as a much wealthier person and appearing to belong to a class of people who would never accept me if I were unable to put on a halfway decent act of being like them. Get some real world seasoning, and when you come back, you'll tell me I was right. Because, sorry, I am.

It is a fact of human nature, known from thousands of years of human experience and more recently decades of scientific study, that we care most for people who are most like ourselves. We are primates. We are tribal. To deny this fact is as useful and as intelligent as denying the law of gravity. Sexism, racism, classism, ageism all exist -- because we care most about and give preference to the people most like ourselves.

Sure, a wealthy person can care for a middle class person. I can care for my dog. But I don't respect him as my equal, and I never will. I can't. Being a woman, I have a little more experience in the reality of this than you do. Most men my age and older, no matter how "nice" they are, no matter how much they think they know best and are trying to help me, are incapable of identifying with me and seeing me as a full-blooded human being. They just can't. In fact, the whole idea that they know what is best for me is the proof that they don't respect me and don't believe I can think for myself. Do you see why?

Bill Frist thinks you are a fool and that he knows better. He does not consider you an equal. The sooner you accept reality, the better. It is not to your advantage to kid yourself about what other people think of you. Not in poker. Not in life.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I would agree with much of what you have said in this thread if it were properly qualified. I just wanted to point out that its sad when the only reason people can come up with to establish credibility on a matter is that they are older.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I would agree with much of what you have said in this thread if it were properly qualified. I just wanted to point out that its sad when the only reason people can come up with to establish credibility on a matter is that they are older.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are not disputing what the OP is saying?

Do you think you know more and have more well informed opinions about people and the world than the average person 1/2 your age? I sure do. It doesn't make us bad people. It is surely not true in all cases, but on average..up to a certain age, I think it is true.