Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold chat = expert

He seems like the annoying guy who can't shut up... and colludes and probably doesn't know it... and gets 356 set over sets... and can't shut up.

I question how many times he talked anyone into calling who wasn't going to already--maybe one or two? It looked like he was just getting killed by the deck, had shown one or two bluffs, and his opponents made bad calls thinking a) he can't have a hand EVERY time, and; b) he has a metric butt-ton of chips. If I'm going to win this thing I need to make a move now. Take away his ginormous chip lead and I wonder how effective his chatter would have been.

A guy who can't stop running his mouth, who has obvious self-esteem issues, and shady ethics... is there any wonder he became a producer/agent?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 PM

You do realize they focused more on him rather than other players since he won. We probally got more than our fair share of Jamie Gold on TV. With that being said, I'm sure more than a handful of other players played as well as Gold and were not as fortunate as him to hardly ever lose. Did he play bad? Nope, he was pretty good with a big stack. Did he get hit with the deck? Yes, but all champs do. Did he outplay his opponents at times? Of course.

I don't see anything wrong with his title. He didn't luck box it like Moneymaker putting all his chips on the line drawing to 2 outs. Didn't Fossilman who a lot of people praise run just as hot if not hotter during the final table then gold did (6 hour final table). Didn't Hachem luck out for all his chips and then effectively double up 3 way with pair over pair. All WSOP champs are going to have to be lucky. Jamie Gold once he got past Day 4 didn't use that much luck to tear up the field. He got no respect and outplayed his opponents when he had to. What more do you need?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of what Paul Newmans character says to Tom Cruise's "You're a hell of a flake kid. But can you flake on and flake off?"

something like that anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good analogy.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM

I think hes better than people give him credit for.... but he made lots of mistakes and also did some things that were questionably illegal
Old 10-03-2006, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think hes better than people give him credit for.... but he made lots of mistakes and also did some things that were questionably illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

He straight flipped over one of his cards in the middle of a hand at the final table, thats quite illegal.

As for his table talk, i dont know to think, but a good player would certainly be able to figure it out after a while. I think.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 PM

mb,

You and others seem to assume that Jamie would not change his table talk strategy if opponents started exploiting it. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 AM

I get the feeling if he were playing for pretzels with 9 year olds he'd be talking constantly through every hand and calling Jonny Chan every 4-5 hands asking him if he's playing good.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:06 AM

I don't get how people can be thrown off by some blabla of their opponent. "I like my hand, I show you", "I have 2 suited cards and I could have a king"...who the f*** cares? I mean STFU [censored]!

Whenever they were in a hand with Gold, why didn't they just listen to Ipod music? Kenny Rogers is good for tourneys. I would have done it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling if he were playing for pretzels with 9 year olds he'd be talking constantly through every hand and calling Jonny Chan every 4-5 hands asking him if he's playing good.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH sir.

I actually watched the last two episodes again last night and was awestruck at what a luckbox that guy was, recognizing that we saw only a small percentage of the hands. Flopped straight, straight flush on the turn, etc etc etc
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM

el d - he wouldnt- He might as well have flipped his cards over when he was in a pot with Cunningham thats how bad he was getting abused by Allen.