Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Jamie Gold chat = expert

That's my opinion on his talking. Both on the PPV and at the final table, his chat obtained the desired result the vast majority of the times he did it. While it's easy to say "what a donkey, he has so many tells, I'd eat him up" I don't see how people so easily dismiss the effectiveness of his chatter. I think he might be much better at the people-reading aspects of the game than people are giving him credit for.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold chat = expert

It seemed Cunnningham and Wasizcka both made big laydowns when Gold told him he had big hands (i think people mostly said he told the truth.) The truth is that he could have used the talk to his advantage by lying at a key time and maybe he did.

Friberg seemed to lose his composure against him and call him really light quite a few times even when he told him not to.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 PM

One thing people aren't taking into account on the whole Gold thing. He is a smart guy first and formost. And as a smart guy he realized that in order to seriously win an event where there are basically 9000 people entered one has to do more than play "perfect" poker. One thing I have come to learn is that in poker you can make every correct descision and do everything right and still loose. We are suposed to get our money in with the best of it and then it's up to the cards at that point. So back to Gold being a smart guy. He pushed the limits and in some cases to far with his table talk and pseudo collusion type deals with his table-mates. So with coaching from J.Chan and some very ballsy play he was able to put a new level of psychological warfair on the poker table. He threw so many people off their game they just didn't know what to do. And we all know that one thing that will kill you at the poker table is making mistakes. He caused everyone he played against to make mistakes and that's how he won. I think that next year we will see more and more people using the "verbal" warfair tactic. I wouldn't be surprised if we dont see a book by Mr. Gold over the art of table talk. ;-)
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM

There are quite a few players who are masters of the table talk etc. Hellmuth antics get people to bluff at him alot and to show their cards to him which is useful.
Its hard to say without being there but it seemed that Cunningham was able to use Gold's talking to get info. Granted i only saw the ESPN broadcasts which you really cant judge much from.

I guess its just a psychological thing but some people just get off their game with the talk. I think techno said Friberg played poorly at the final table mostly because he called Gold too often.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Gold's chatter didn't bother me too much watching it on ESPN. The talk I couldn't stand was the abusive, rude chat of Molina and the retarded, annoying chat of Micon.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:54 PM

Thats where Gold was different. He wasn't abusive or rude really. And when I said we will see more verbal warfair next year and in big events to come I'm afraid that we will see more Molin's and the likes of them. Makes me think I'll stick to cash games....
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's my opinion on his talking. Both on the PPV and at the final table, his chat obtained the desired result the vast majority of the times he did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm.. I don't really see that. All the better players seemed to be able to read him well or just ignore the chat.

What he did accomplish very well was he made the semi-pro mediocre players just play awful against him. His chat also seemed to be good at making people annoyed and getting them to target him and generally take people off their game.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 PM

I haven't seen any of it, but I've heard that he talked about the hands when it was mult-way, which is illegal.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing people aren't taking into account on the whole Gold thing. He is a smart guy first and formost. And as a smart guy he realized that in order to seriously win an event where there are basically 9000 people entered one has to do more than play "perfect" poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Getting Pair over Pair about 50 times helps.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

jamie gold sucks are u kidding el d? i expected more out of u