Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Why Stars (and all the majors) will pull out....

[ QUOTE ]
pokerstars.net, which is legal

[/ QUOTE ]
aren't all the .net sites just affiliates of the main sites? all these affiliates are going to become illegal correct?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 AM

For once I'm gonna go with olivert and comment on the potential likelihood of Harrahs moving the ME anyway. Harrahs has little respect for the tradition that is involved in the ME and I don't believe they would hesitate for an instant to host the ME in a different country. All of this is of course assuming OP is correct that sites operating in the US wouldn't be allowed to send people to the ME, which honestly doesn't make sense to me but whatev. Perhaps he knows more than I do as I am but a pawn in the chess game played by congress. Here's to you rook.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM

Gavin Smith should make Joe Sebok dress up as Frist this next WSOP ME.

Frist it! Frist it good!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 AM

I think it is more like the founder of Party Gaming want to be able to travel to US. They cashed out when Party Gaming went public about one year ago. They would rather be able to travel to US than suffer and protect the value of the company for its shareholders who invested their money in their company.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Why would online poker sites care of WSOP? They just move to EPT which is easier to access for their customers anwyays or start new poker series that is played outside USA.

My bet is for some kind of real world series that is played all over the world except USA. Series would be designed for best benefits for online poker rooms. I am actually surprised they had not started one before but now they got good reason.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any site that accepts US players will have any employee arrested the moment they set foot at McCarran for the next WSOP.

Sites like Party and Cryptos, will be able to send players and send representitives to the main events based in the US, since they do not allow US customers.

Given that the US market is going to drop off signficantly whether a site remains open to its players or not, I believe the larger sites will find it more profitable to cater to the Euro/Asian market and remain access to US soil.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong in so many ways.

First, the bill hasn't even been signed into law yet, so nobody has done anything illegal.

(Poker sites, not sports betting.)

Second, once the law does pass, as long as the sites don't accept deposits from US based financial insitutions, they still will not be breaking any laws.

Surely you have enough common sense to figure out a way for companies to continue to operate within these parameters.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM

Default This is really a silly thread

.... We already give our players the $10,000 if they want it.

Why couldn't they go themselves and play in the WSOP ?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 PM

Yeah, that's it. I can't go to Las Vegas next summer so I'm dumping $5 billion in business. That will make me really, really popular with my shareholders.

--Dikshit
Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM

'Now this is really starting to piss me off"

.... David LoPan
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this, wrong. Five years for everyone working at the company, fines, they can seize their accounts, possiby overseas, certainly in British territory, and they can seize yours if they ID you. This is bad leg. It's modeled after drug/money laudering bills. Insanse but enforceble and will put all U.S. employees of sites in bind. I hope to God somebody is ready to apeal for a stay.

`Sec. 1084. Use of a communication facility to transmit bets or wagers; criminal penalties

`(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, being engaged in a gambling business, knowingly--

`(1) uses a communication facility for the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce, within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or to or from any place outside the jurisdiction of any nation with respect to any transmission to or from the United States, of--

`(A) bets or wagers;

`(B) information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers; or

`(C) a communication, which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers, or for information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers; or

`(2) accepts, in connection with the transmission of a communication in interstate or foreign commerce, within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or to or from any place outside the jurisdiction of any nation with respect to any transmission to or from the United States of bets or wagers or information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers--

`(A) credit, or the proceeds of credit, extended to or on behalf of another (including credit extended through the use of a credit card);

`(B) an electronic fund transfer or funds transmitted by or through a money transmitting business, or the proceeds of an electronic fund transfer or money transmitting service, from or on behalf of the other person;

`(C) any check, draft, or similar instrument which is drawn by or on behalf of the other person and is drawn on or payable through any financial institution; or

`(D) the proceeds of any other form of financial transaction as the Secretary of the Treasury and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System may prescribe by regulation which involves a financial institution as a payor or financial intermediary on behalf of or for the benefit of the other person,

shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Anyone working to help U.S. players play poker is on the hook. At any point in the chain. That is the legislatitive intent. They listened to us about how it wouldn't work, studied China, did 3 GAO studies and put everybody and their money, and ours on the hook. They may not enforce it that way, but that's the way the Reps. meant, and I wouldn't bet on the goons in Justice loosening up.