Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Then they came for you

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Germany's response was to use government to empower corporations and reward the society's richest individuals, privatize much of the commons, stifle dissent, strip people of constitutional rights, and create an illusion of prosperity through continual and ever-expanding war. America passed minimum wage laws to raise the middle class, enforced anti-trust laws to diminish the power of corporations, increased taxes on corporations and the wealthiest individuals, created Social Security, and became the employer of last resort through programs to build national infrastructure, promote the arts, and replant forests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its good to see this article was about Americas decent into a dictatorship.

('replant forests', lol I missed that first time through)

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see that's what you got from the article. That The New Deal = Dictatorship. That's really helping my feeling of helplessness. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Dems Suck and Repub Suck. Comservatives are Our Only Hope

[ QUOTE ]
"So then what was your objection with felix's ranking? "

Freedoms given to the slaves > Freedoms taken from Secessionists/Slaveowners

[/ QUOTE ]
1) You realize that the Civil War was not about freeing the slaves, right?
2) What of the tens of thousands of people he threw in the American Bastille (Fort Lafayette) for political dissent?
3) What of the some 300 opposition newspapers he shut down?
4) What about the Declaration of Independence, which states that if people feel the government doesn't represent them, they have the right to break away and form their own government?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 PM

Oops. I wanted to reply this post, but I accidentally edited it. I'm still getting the hang of this. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Feel free to repost it.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious. Why does the ACLU interpret some Constitutional Amendments extremely broadly, while interpreting others extremely narrowly, like the 2nd and 10th Amendments? Shouldn't an organization be consistent and view all Amendments in the same light?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't really researched this, but IMHO the ACLU is not an advocacy group, meaning that their goal is not to change the law. They see their role as enforcing existing constitutional freedoms. The current case law has severely undercut the 2nd and 10th Amendments, rendering them practically void. The ACLU in this case is merely following the Supreme Court's lead in largely ignoring the 2nd and 10th amendments.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM

I generally admire the ACLU and what it stands for, but where the [censored] were they on internet gambling?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This second ammendment clearly says that bearing arms is a right, not a priviledge, such as driving a car (according to the law, not my beliefs). The ACLU is clearly not on the libertarian side on the second ammendment.

[/ QUOTE ]The point is that the ACLU does NOT favor "heavy gun control" as was claimed by a poster in this thread. And the link provides ample evidence for that. Yes, the ACLU's position on gun ownership is different to the Libertarian Party's -- as well as to the NRA's. The latter two are in favor of practically no regulation whatsoever. The ACLU sensibly sees guns as a tad more dangerous than cars, and supports regulating who can own a gun at least as much as who can own a car.

There is a lot of interesting stuff about the ACLU's position on the 2nd amendment in that link.

Mickey Brausch
Old 10-02-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see that's what you got from the article. That The New Deal = Dictatorship. That's really helping my feeling of helplessness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that FDR New Deal = Dictatorship. He spent the whole article trying to compare the germans decent into facism to Americas current descent into facism. So far so good, Good article. Then out of left field he uses that arguement as proof for the legitamacy of FDRs social programs, including planting trees. The two arguements have very little to do with each other.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a little funny (sorry) but I wasn't expecting that you fellows would get it so soon. When a small minority were protesting that, under various pretexts, most notable of which was the "war against terror", essential freedoms were being taken away from you, their protests were met generally with dismissals or mockery.

It's a little different when you are getting hit, isn't it ?

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]Well put.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The civil war was not about slavery.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose all credibility with this statement.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The civil war was not about slavery.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose all credibility with this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lincoln said it was about preserving the Union and if he could do it without freeing the slaves, he would.