Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Feeling Helpless

While this anti-online gambling lesislation has really got me depressed on a personal level, my general sense of dread about the direction of this country reached it's low point this week. I can't believe this week's attack on civil liberties could pass with such little fanfare.

I can't believe that with as much of a disaster our ruling party has been over the last few years, if the elections were held today (while they would lose a few seats), they would still be in power. According to polls, The Senate would be 52-48 (R). and the House would be approx. 219-215 (R) I greatly suspect the Republicans will do better than this on election day based on financial advantages and the recent discrepancies between polls and election results (I'll leave my conspiracy theories to myself).

The reason for this post is to share with all of you something that I heard on the radio last night that really crystallized everything for me. I feel it describes where we are at and the direction we are headed. I also feel helpless that anything can be done to stop it.

Link
Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Feeling Helpless

[ QUOTE ]
While this anti-online gambling lesislation has really got me depressed on a personal level, my general sense of dread about the direction of this country reached it's low point this week. I can't believe this week's attack on civil liberties could pass with such little fanfare.

I can't believe that with as much of a disaster our ruling party has been over the last few years, if the elections were held today (while they would lose a few seats), they would still be in power. According to polls, The Senate would be 52-48 (R). and the House would be approx. 219-215 (R) I greatly suspect the Republicans will do better than this on election day based on financial advantages and the recent discrepancies between polls and election results (I'll leave my conspiracy theories to myself).

The reason for this post is to share with all of you something that I heard on the radio last night that really crystallized everything for me. I feel it describes where we are at and the direction we are headed. I also feel helpless that anything can be done to stop it.

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

We are only truly helpless when we no longer speak out.

True Democracy begins with 1 on 1 interaction.

When you encounter these issues in daily life....Have the courage to stand up and speak out.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:08 AM

Default Then they came for you

It's a little funny (sorry) but I wasn't expecting that you fellows would get it so soon. When a small minority were protesting that, under various pretexts, most notable of which was the "war against terror", essential freedoms were being taken away from you, their protests were met generally with dismissals or mockery.

It's a little different when you are getting hit, isn't it ?

Mickey Brausch
Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Then they came for you

[ QUOTE ]
It's a little funny (sorry) but I wasn't expecting that you fellows would get it so soon. When a small minority were protesting that, under various pretexts, most notable of which was the "war against terror", essential freedoms were being taken away from you, their protests were met generally with dismissals or mockery.

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

very true
Old 10-01-2006, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Feeling Helpless

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need to be upset (or surprised). This is what governments have always done, mostly with the support of their people. America is not special, no matter who or how many people say otherwise.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]
Its a general problem with people lacking principles. Its obviously a bad thing when law gets passed by tacking it on to other unrelated laws just as a tactic to prevent t being examined in its own right.

People should object to the principle of doing this whether or not they care about the tacked on legislation. Sadly people ony care enough to object when its them who suffer.

chez
Old 10-01-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Mickey Brausch

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to bandwagon with the awful liberals, but QFT.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

Democracy is solely about plundering the helpless minority, and it can be difficult to grasp this until its you getting plundered.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

Democracy is solely about plundering the helpless minority, and it can be difficult to grasp this until its you getting plundered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, as Bill Maher says, you only think this is a free country because the things you like to do are still legal.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Dems Suck and Repub Suck. Comservatives are Our Only Hope

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I find your post irritating. You act as if this was the first time people's freedoms have been stolen by politicians. This has been happening for decades. Lincoln started the power grab to save the union. Woodrow Wilson gave us the income tax which gave the federal govt the power(money) to enforce restrictions against freedom. FDR created the modern day welfare state and he gobbled up more power for the federal govt. If I had to rank the worst anti-freedom presidents they would be:

1. Woodrow Wilson(D)
2. FDR(D)
3. Lincoln(R)

The best way to do this is to starve the govt of money by slashing spending and reducing taxes. Unfortortunately we need to perfect storm of a conservative president (ie NOT Bush), a Newt Gingrich congress (ie not Tom DeLay/not Dennis Hastert), and a conservative senate (I fear this may be impossible). You will NOT find salvation with the Democrats. Their appetite for power is greater than the current crappy Repubs we have now..... My current hopes are on George Allen and perhaps Romney.... It is counter productive to vote for the Dems because they appoint judges that steal more power from the people than a 100 bad presidents. Consider the recent eminent domain ruling where a local govt can take your home and sell it to ANOTHER private individual. This is more vile than a stupid attack on internet poker....

I feel betrayed by Bush43. I had hoped he would be a Reagan and a reformer by he has acted like a Bush41 spendocrat. The last good president we had was Reagan. The last GREAT president we had Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was GREAT at reducing govt spending.