Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Re: 20/40 bb defense

I'd check because hands like TJ, TK, KJ, J8, etc. that peel the flop picked up a straight draw on the turn and won't call a river bet but will often (usually) bluff it. There's 16 combos of each of those suckers. There's also a chance he checks behind 7x or a hand like 88. It's also not out of the question that he bets an ace, I see lags do it a lot. Also you never fold the best hand which is always a treat.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-call, I suspect A-high is giving up on this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont believe that. If A-high calls the turn and a brick comes on the river, its surely not folding.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 AM

agreed. ace high is calling all day here.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Related question....

If you are villain and your hand is A5o, do you play this the same as this villain did, or fold to the flop raise? How about ATo? Assume you know your opponent is mr. pink.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
very tough spot. i think if you check he is gonna bet all hands that beat you but check a few hands he would call with like ace high and 55. i would bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I really think check/calling here is a bad idea, if you're checking if should be planning on folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not seeing a SD here is bad. The game recently went three-handed but was previously full. You don't know enough about your opponent and how he plays on a short table. If you're going to continue to play with him at a short table, you really need to understand what sort of hand he will play like this (calling flop C/R, calling turn bet in position). Against many opponents and in many situations OOP with a marginal hand, betting is better than checking since you're usually a bigger dog when he bets against your check than calls your bet. But the EV difference is not great enough between the two against a relative unknown in this situation to forego seeing what he's playing like this. This sort river spot is bigger than this specific play in this specific hand. JMHO, though not many seem to agree.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not seeing a SD here is bad. The game recently went three-handed but was previously full. You don't know enough about your opponent and how he plays on a short table. If you're going to continue to play with him at a short table, you really need to understand what sort of hand he will play like this (calling flop C/R, calling turn bet in position). Against many opponents and in many situations OOP with a marginal hand, betting is better than checking since you're usually a bigger dog when he bets against your check than calls your bet. But the EV difference is not great enough between the two against a relative unknown in this situation to forego seeing what he's playing like this. This sort river spot is bigger than this specific play in this specific hand. JMHO, though not many seem to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

catt,

good post. you brought up an important point. considering that it was early in the session, seeing a SD here definitely worth the bb regardless of what the outcome is. about the overall EV of the call, I'd have to argue that it is probably losing money most of the time but the information (what he's willing to take to SD, bet/bluff the river with, etc... ) is defintely worth it.

anyways, in the actual hand I rivered the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for middle set (running good is fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), I bet, he called. I thought the river spot was interesting b/c after the hand I realized I had no idea what I would have done UI. he showed down 76o, btw.

thanks for the responses