Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 PM

Default 20/40 bb defense

was full table but now down to 3handed.

button opens, no stats but he's alright - not great, LAG in sb folds,

I just call in the bb with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls. good so far?

turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls. - pause for concern

river is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I do what?/?

what if the river was a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 20/40 bb defense

i b/f this river
if it's a diamond i think i c/c
Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 PM

I tend to ck-cl and let him bet his busted hand. If I had reason to believe he'd call A-high or something similar (either his play or my bluffing busted draws in similar hands), I'd be more likely to bet.

He'll call a pretty wide range of hands on the flop C/R. And the 9 on the turn brings in some gutshot draws for his wide range, that, combined with the possible clean overs / unders and the chance that you're pushing something like a FD, will generate a turn call from him often enough to cause a little heartburn. In other words, I don't read the turn call as quite so worrisome (i.e., that he's letting us bet his hand for him).
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Check-call, I suspect A-high is giving up on this river.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-call, I suspect A-high is giving up on this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by gives up? he won't call?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to ck-cl and let him bet his busted hand. If I had reason to believe he'd call A-high or something similar (either his play or my bluffing busted draws in similar hands), I'd be more likely to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I guess that was kinda what I was thinking at the time. It also lets him value bet all his 7xs, 9xs, and 88-JJ that got froze up by the flop c/r. I guess the question is, is he bluffing enough of the time to discount all the hands he's value betting and still make the call correct.

of course, he'll occassionally check behind some of his weakest holdings and I'll save a bet.

I'm still not sure either way.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I guess that was kinda what I was thinking at the time. It also lets him value bet all his 7xs, 9xs, and 88-JJ that got froze up by the flop c/r. I guess the question is, is he bluffing enough of the time to discount all the hands he's value betting and still make the call correct.

of course, he'll occassionally check behind some of his weakest holdings and I'll save a bet.

I'm still not sure either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like check-fold in this game against the slim read that you have if that's what you're thinking. You can bet, or you can ck-cl, but you should be seeing a showdown, IMHO. Without a read I favor the ck-cl because, (1) you don't know enough of him to determine whether he calls A-high (or will bet it if he seeks weakness), (2) you don't know enough of how he plays short (since the table was recently full), and (3) I'm really not jazzed by bet-folding here given the lack of info you've collected to this point, and I don't think you should be calling a raise.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 AM

very tough spot. i think if you check he is gonna bet all hands that beat you but check a few hands he would call with like ace high and 55. i would bet.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
very tough spot. i think if you check he is gonna bet all hands that beat you but check a few hands he would call with like ace high and 55. i would bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I really think check/calling here is a bad idea, if you're checking if should be planning on folding.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:33 AM

Even though there's not much value in either I think it's pretty clear that bet / fold is the far better play. If the river was a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] it would be between bet / call and check / fold if you thought he was decent (A high should never bet here).