Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: King high against a fish. Call river?

What is the conclusion then? Preflop + flop is standard. Turn is check-call. And river is..??? Check...Fold? call?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 PM

meh, I won't call the river here without a very specific read.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM

It's usually easier to read opponents on Ace high flops because they are not peeling hoping to make top pair. You can usually give their calls more credit than usual.

I think villain's range is a flush draw, TPNK, a jack, a four, a pocket pair, and a discounted K10 for the gutshot. Based on his passive play it seems like he has a hand he wants to showdown. I think the river is a fold.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your Turn line is off. Be more inclined to Check/Call here in these situations where you probably don't have the best hand, but have a ton of outs to improve.

You can't fold to a raise here, and your giving your opponent an excellent opportunity to charge you the most when your drawing. Checking sets you up for a nice Check-Raise on the River sometimes.

If the Turn gets checked through you can Fire on the River UI, depending on the overall board texture.

I think, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I really like firing again on the turn as (at least the fish I play with) peel almost any flop. We have a strong draw, so we don't really mind if he calls and I think we're getting some good fold equity. If you check the turn to this type of player, they will bet at you with air and put you in a tough spot. I really wouldn't worry about getting raised on the turn if this guy really is a fish (LPP) because then we can just call and c/f the river. Having said that, I hate betting the river after checking the turn.

EDIT: FWIW I fold the river as played, but this is a TOTALLY read dependent situation. It may even be worth calling just for the information you'll get.