Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: The Hill: Internet Gambling in DOD Authorization (Mon Night)

Edited : Thanks for your useful input - Berge
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Hill is not published weekly AFAIK. I think they put it out 3 times a week or something. Berge is right that this is still a very fluid situation. The Hill is much more reliable than some of the other sources quoted in here recently (that UK publication, and the other blog-like sites), but not nearly as reputable as Roll Call, CongressDaily, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If something definitive had happened over the weekend, wouldn't it be likely that one of those other sources would have caught it?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:12 AM

Crap. Now Roll Call. Regurgitating Hill news?

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/52_32/news/15154-1.html
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 AM

Resisting the urge to flam NROG et all.

If this is true will the language come out tommorow?

Tuco.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 AM

I don't have a login for Roll Call, but it seems unlikely that both would be so far off base, unfortunately. Hopefully some can clear this up tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 AM

Maybe. I'll talk to some people tomorrow AM and see what the deal is.

I also just want to point out that every day this week will be just like today. Crazy [censored] flying in every direction. The only thing that is going to keep this discussion productive through all that mess is patience and civility. Beware of people offering definitive news, because in situations like this one, sometimes nobody can know the whole story, even if they're Denny Hastert. Too many players in Congress for anyone to really be able to say much for sure. We have a great group here in the forum, and when we sum up all the varying perspectives and expertise I guarantee we'll be able to follow this story about as closely as possible.

Oh, and just to prove I'm not good for nothing, I'll offer some new info: Senate will adjourn on Saturday. I want to say "bet the farm on it" but I'm not quite ready to say that. Maybe bet 90% of the farm on it.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:22 AM

Congress Daily. 11:27 AM, Sep 25 (so still Monday Morning).

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=261
Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a login for Roll Call, but it seems unlikely that both would be so far off base, unfortunately. Hopefully some can clear this up tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good [censored] Christ. That Roll Call story is scary. That is new info, and it is direct folks. As I said earlier (this thread is moving at a TORRID pace!), I will talk to some people tomorrow AM and see what the deal is. I promise fresh dirt at that time.

Now, nothing in the article spells imminent doom, but I think what we can take out of that story is that Frist remains actively engaged in an effort to move the Internet gambling language, and that he may now be considering a much wider array of options to do so. You see, he will probably control the content of the final wiretapping/tribunal bill, meaning he wouldn't have to deal with someone like Warner when working to insert the gambling language. Hmmmmmm. Also, Frist's threat not to bring the DoD bill to the floor w/o the gambling language is probably legit, but see he has to compete with Hastert who has his own threat, which is even more credible. As I said Sunday night, the wars will be just as intense internally between Republicans this week as they will be between the two parties.

I guess on further reflection this story really just serves as an indication that the battle has not been decided one way or another, and that the fur will continue to fly as the week goes on. And yeah, NROG has like a million eggs all over its face. Good gracious.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 AM

Correction. That last article says "Congress Daily" but its from something called Federal News Radio. I apologize. It's late.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congress Daily. 11:27 AM, Sep 25 (so still Monday Morning).

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/index.php?nid=261

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that story is dated and events have overtaken it. Look, the whole effing landscape on this issue is going to change by tomorrow at lunchtime (the Senate parties hold their weekly policy luncheons every Tuesday afternoon where they discuss strategery and then hold news conferences afterwards to talk about what's ahead and how the other party is totally awful.)

Tomorrow at 2:15. That'll be a key time for where this is all headed.