Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Too passive with my set?

[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

On the flop i might decide to check/raise or just bet out. True, raising pre-flop would have been bad with this flop,

[/ QUOTE ]
We have a monster and like 70% equity. Why would it be bad to have tons of money in the pot?

[ QUOTE ]
since the pot would be too big to protect my hand against the flush draw,

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "protecting against a flush draw?" There is almost no flop (and exactly no flop at this level) where folding a flush draw would be correct. You can never protect against flush draws, but you can (and should) make them pay. Against a flush draw, a set wins 75% of the time (a flush draw typically has around 1/3 equity on the flop, however that equity drops to 1/4 if a set is out there).

[ QUOTE ]
but it's too big now too anyway. But check/call is only good if you want to slowplay the set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against so many people slowplaying is always wrong (unless you have quads, but even then you may miss bets by slowplaying).
Old 09-23-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop, I would have check-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check-raising this flop is not a good idea. If someone in LP bets and we raise, most people will fold. A c/r only works if the player right behind us bets (this was the case in this hand, but hero couldn't have known that). We have a monster. We want money in the pot. The best thing is just to bet. Hope that someone in LP raises.

[ QUOTE ]
River, You are still ahead of everything. Only players with JJ and KK beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]
And QT. Many donks play that from any position at this level (and higher too), and most fish call to the river with their gutshot. But since nobody new woke up on the river we're still good here almost always.

[ QUOTE ]
Not only are those rare hands, but a majority of player (correctly) raise preflop with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be so sure about 5c/10c fish. But I agree that we shouldn't fear a better set here.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 PM

*grunch*

pretty much too passive on all streets. c/r turn might have been okay.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Against so many people slowplaying is always wrong (unless you have quads, but even then you may miss bets by slowplaying).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. This is quite helpful. Because that is EXACTLY what happened. Guy hit his gutshot on the river. Serves me right.

And I apologize to all who were physically pained by my play. If it helps, I'll let you know the next time I play so you can sit in and win some easy money. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] At least for a while yet.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:01 PM

I'm okay with only checking your option pre-flop because the only way you're going to win this hand with this many callers is to flop a set.

But you did! I'm okay with going for c/r on the flop but then bet and raise the whole way. There's no realistic straight on the board and no flush. The only hand you're behind is KK and my impression is that even at .05/.1 they'll raise with kings there.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:56 PM

Preflop: I raise before the flop. Middle pairs play well against several opponents. If you make a set, expect to win a lot of money here. If you make a set after raising before the flop, expect to win more. Making the pot bigger will encourage people to chase after some hopeless draws like top pair with an ace. Also, since nobody else raised before the flop, you probably aren't up against a better hand, and likely have a nice edge in pot equity.

After the flop: What are you waiting for? A royal flush? This could be the best hand you have all session. Are you never going to bet or raise? If you don't bet or raise here you're an extremely passive player. That isn't winning poker. Nobody ever says something like: "Boy that guy can play some poker. He really creates problems for his opponents with his timid play."

Nobody else even showed much aggression until the turn, and even then you're going to be way ahead. The 4 of spades isn't going to beat you, so I wouldn't worry about the raise on the turn.

Finally, there is always the chance that you will make a full house or quads, so that's another reason to be aggressive after you flop a set.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Give him a break you guys. He said he was a newbie and his being on this forum indicates he wants to get better. No reason to belittle him. That goes for you Jago and Marquoz.

Get Sklansky's and Miller's Small Stakes Hold’em: Winning With Expert Play and learn to be more aggressive. That is how you become a winning player.

Keep reading this forum and asking your questions. That will make you a better player, too.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give him a break you guys. He said he was a newbie and his being on this forum indicates he wants to get better. No reason to belittle him. That goes for you Jago and Marquoz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read these forums some more and learn what "beraducating" means. Horrible play is being belittled, not the player. It's 2+2's version of tough love, and it's been around way longer than I have because it works.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read these forums some more and learn what "beraducating" means. Horrible play is being belittled, not the player. It's 2+2's version of tough love, and it's been around way longer than I have because it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was afraid to post, because I was fearing this kind of reaction. But you know what? I'm sitting here smiling after the beating because I played again last night, flopped a set again and bet the hell out of it. And made money.

So, at least for me, the beraducating approach works. But thanks also to the poster who asked to take it easy on me. Such love!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting here smiling after the beating because I played again last night, flopped a set again and bet the hell out of it. And made money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Keep it up!