Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: First Rosh Hashanah

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seems like the consensus is just show up, dont say anything stupid and ask questions.

no need for anything special like saying happy new year in hebrew or bringing any gifts.

thanks for the advice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think saying "Shana Tovah" would be a nice gesture and show that you've done some research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or make them think you're Jewish. It might be a good idea, but it might turn out like when I was in Israel and decided to show off that I knew how to ask "where is the bathroom?" in Hebrew. I felt totally cool, until I was answered in Hebrew, and understood none of it. Fortunately, he gestured at some point in the explanation and I just nodded and walked that way.

But if they already know you aren't Jewish, it would probably make a good impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly they already know I'm not jewish. But the GF might be wrong about that because she is kinda airheaded at times for stuff like that.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seems like the consensus is just show up, dont say anything stupid and ask questions.

no need for anything special like saying happy new year in hebrew or bringing any gifts.

thanks for the advice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think saying "Shana Tovah" would be a nice gesture and show that you've done some research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or make them think you're Jewish. It might be a good idea, but it might turn out like when I was in Israel and decided to show off that I knew how to ask "where is the bathroom?" in Hebrew. I felt totally cool, until I was answered in Hebrew, and understood none of it. Fortunately, he gestured at some point in the explanation and I just nodded and walked that way.

But if they already know you aren't Jewish, it would probably make a good impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. But I would think that from the way OP pronounces "Shana Tova" they would know right away. That's certainly not a knock on his linguistic skills, but people who have been speaking Hebrew their whole lives (or at least familiar with it) would recognize a non-speaker right away just from tone.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 PM

The stress is on the second syllable of Tovah, correct? This could be important...
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The stress is on the second syllable of Tovah, correct? This could be important...

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anyone would get offended if he mispronounced the phrase....let alone stress the wrong part of the word. But yes....its ShaNAH ToVAH
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Well this actually applies to me too...just wondering. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anyone would get offended if he mispronounced the phrase....let alone stress the wrong part of the word. But yes....its ShaNAH ToVAH

[/ QUOTE ]

80% of American Jews mispronounce common hebrew phrases so why should he be any different?